Swimming

After Gary and Becky give their speech, they let the kids loose to go get changed into our swimsuits. Amanda and I walk to the cabin together before she ditches me for her friends. I don't even know why she wanted me to come, she seems fine, but it's too late now.

I try to change quickly so I don't turn Gary or Becky's wrath towards me. I change into the same awful orange one-piece that everyone has to wear. It really makes all the girls look super orange with their fake tans.

While Amanda and her friends gossip about the boys for a little bit, I head outside to where everyone is supposed to meet. None of the super rich kids are hear yet, but I see a lot of the kids with glasses, allergies, or broken limbs. I even spot Wednesday and his brother, and after a burst of confidence I head over to them.

"Hey! I'm not sure if you remember but I'm Veronica. I didn't catch your name." I look at the younger of the two, blond buzz cut boy.

"Pugsley." He smiles at me and reaches out to shake my hand, which I do. Wednesday just stands quietly beside his brother, looking at me strangely.

"What brings you guys here? Not to be mean, but it doesn't seem like either of you are overjoyed about being here."

"I can't help but notice the same thing about you." Wednesday answers, to my surprise.

It takes me a couple seconds to respond. "Wow. I really thought I was a better actor than that." Wednesday's lips move slightly, and Pugsley laughs. "You're right. My younger sister Amanda wanted to come here, but claimed she was nervous to go alone. My mom made me come one last time before I'm off for college."

Pugsley doesn't say anything, it seems he is distracted, pitying some girls braiding each other's hair. Wednesday pauses, before answering my question: "Our nanny is trying to seduce our uncle for his money. I figured this out, so she wanted to get rid of us. She told my parents we wanted to go here, and since they love us they sent us."

"I'm sorry. I also would like to apologize for they way my sister and parents acted. They love flaunting us, and Amanda can be a bit rude." I felt my fave turn red with shame for my family as I tried to look normal.

Wednesday was quiet. "It's alright. I mean, not everyone's family can be as skilled in the dark arts as ours." Pugsley smiled at me. As I tried to continue our conversation, I heard a whistle from Gary.

"Alright campers! Follow me to the dock."

I looked at Wednesday and Pugsley and smiled before we made our way to the dock.

Becky had us line up, with random partners. I looked to my right and saw I was with Pugsley. He grinned at me before we turned and saw the first pair of kids. Oh no.

There stood Wednesday in his black and grey striped shorts and t-shirt. Next to him was Amanda in the same orange swimsuit as everyone else. I let out a small laugh, they looked as different as hell and heaven, but I couldn't tell which one was hell.

"Alright everybody! Today we are going to learn how to save someone. First, Wednesday and Amanda. Which of you would like to be our hero, and our drowning victim?" Gary asked.

"Oh! Oh! I'll be the victim." Amanda was quick to volunteer.

"All your life." I heard Wednesday mutter. I couldn't help it as I let out a string of giggles. Wednesday turned slightly to see who was laughing. When he saw me, he offered a slight smile. It surprised me so much that I almost immediately stopped laughing. I had never seen an expression on his face other than abhorrence, disgust, or stoicism.

Amanda ignored him though. "Im going to be an actress."

Amanda prepared herself for a moment before jumping in the dirty lake, and frantically waving around her arms and legs, screaming "Help me! Help me! Please. Im dying!!" before over-dramatically falling below the surface of the water, letting bubbles of air escape.

Gary looked at Wednesday expectantly, to which Wednesday replied, "I can't swim."