Chapter 48

Sorry for the absence on last Thursday, I had an unexpected flare up that took me out for a while. Now that I'm back everything goes back to normal schedule.

I am planning to release the chapter meant for today tomorrow, this way we are still on track but you get Thursday's chapter as well. So update tomorrow and on Thursday!

Thank you for reading

***

This part of the corridors was eerily silent compared to the ones you came from.

The noise of the fights you left behind still followed you, but it was nothing but a muffled background now. The only sound that filled the space were echoing footsteps and Mirio's panting.

The boy refused to use your shadows as a mean to travel. He said you should keep your energy for later, when you would most likely need it against the head of the Hassaikai. You reluctantly agreed, but you still felt bad for the boy having to run through the wall, using his quirk himself.

The path the two of you had to take was long, the walls meaning to stop you large in numbers.

After several minutes of running, there were footsteps other than yours that you could hear in the dark. And you knew exactly who it belonged to.

"Excuse me..." Mirio panted when you finally caught up with the villains you were chasing.

"But could we ask you a few questions?"

"Fuck questions." you stepped forward, ready to fight.

Chisaki turned back slightly to look at you, but there was no fear or concern in his gaze, just annoyance. Indifference. It pissed you off.

He stood in front of you with his hands in his pockets as if he didn't care at all about anything that was going on, not about the people risking their life for him, under his order. He reminded you of a certain someone that was behind bars now, that almost killed you and Bakugo.

"You shouldn't have been able to get here so fast." he said, his tone amused, like you did better than he expected.

"We took a shortcut." Mirio bit out.

You took another step forward.

"We are here to rescue Eri." you said, looking over at Overhaul's companion.

He was standing there all silent, his white hood falling over his face. You wouldn't have seen it much anyway since the mask he was wearing covered the entire thing. In his hands, facing away from you and trembling, Eri tried to fold even smaller.

Overhaul sighed.

"Now you play hero, huh? This girl doesn't want you to rescue her."

"How do you know that?" you cocked your head to the side, your tone so cold it brought a chill down Mirio's spine. "Have you asked her at all? To me it seems like you were speaking all this time. But she seems old enough to speak for herself."

It was only a tiny movement, a fraction of a second, but you saw Chisaki's eye twitch, his eyebrow run up ever so slightly before molding into his usual, neutral expression that he was staring you down with.

"You don't seem to understand, do you?"

He spoke like you were nothing more than some dirt on his shoe.

"Let's make this simple. I'm telling you to die."

The two of them turned away, leaving you there. The arrogance in that movement alone was enough to tip you off. They strode away with the confidence of you not being able to do anything. Mirio seemed to think the same, because when you took a step to follow them he did too, trying to activate his quirk at the same time.