Part 7: Truth

"Are you nervous?" Valeria looks up at the voice after straightening her clothes. There wasn't any need, and she didn't need to dress up. Perhaps that is the version of her that Cory orchestrated peeking through. She doesn't want to be that perfect woman anymore, the one that always had to have pressed dresses and curled hair. She hated that person so much, yet that person is still a part of her.

"There is no need to be nervous." Emma Spencer sits across from her at a coffee shop down the street from the warehouse. She met Emma a few years before, having been the first person to interview her upon the news reaching the city that she was marrying Cory. Emma has an eye for small details, and perhaps she could see, even back then, that something wasn't right. Still, she never said anything and never wrote something untrue that could hurt her. The second she met Emma, Valeria liked her. There was something about her then and still, now that is approachable. "It is just a chat among friends, in a way."

Emma isn't wrong. "Indeed," Valeria confirms and feels herself relax slightly. "It has been a while since I have sat in the hot seat, though."

Emma smiles with her wide mouth, which is always friendly. Her dark eyes are soft, and her eyebrows are nearly hidden under bangs. Her dark hair is thick and pulled to a relaxed braid that falls over her shoulder. "Well, you always were a natural, Valeria. I must say I was surprised by the call."

Valeria laughs awkwardly, knowing it was out of the blue. "Yeah, well. I wanted to say something and needed someone I could trust to tell the world." Emma's eyes squint at her for a second, but her face is still friendly. She has always been inquisitive, but she never pushed Valeria into talking.

"Thank you for the confidence in me." She takes a sip of her latte and sets it back on the table. Valeria had offered her a free cup of coffee, if nothing else, and paid for her travels to get here. She hadn't realized Emma lived out of state when she first met her. During one of the older interviews, Valeria met her husband, Jon Spencer. They always traveled everywhere together. The first time she saw Emma, the reporter was well into her pregnancy, much like Valeria is now.

"Where are Jon and Davie?" Valeria questions, knowing they came with her.

"Oh, they are across the street at the park." Emma smiles brightly and glances out the large picture window, locating them easily across the park on the swings. Valeria watches them, too, seeing how at ease Jon is with their young son. After a minute, Emma looks back at Valeria with a tilt of her head. "So, Valeria, shall we get started?"

"Well, you did come all the way out here," Valeria answers with a smile.

"Oh, it wasn't that far, and we are staying with my family up the road about forty miles," Emma reveals while pulling out a notepad and recorder. She had done the same years before. Valeria has chatted enough with Emma to know a little about her life. She knows Emma left home after signing a book to a publisher and has been making waves in both book publishing and journalism. She runs a website with many viewers, Valeria being one of them. "So, Valeria Marshall, you have my ear, and the whole world is ready to listen. What do you want to say?"

"Well, first, I am Valeria McLeod now." She holds up her left hand, revealing the ring she hadn't realized she was hiding from view.

Emma gives a squeal and takes Valeria's hand to examine the ring closer. After a few seconds of ogling, she sits back in there chair and regains her composure. Valeria continues to smile, realizing that the smile isn't fake. "I must admit that I am surprised to see you marry again soon after your ex public humiliated you."

A hard question, Valeria realizes that Emma isn't about to sugarcoat this story. Some of the questions will be harder, but Valeria has to be careful how she answers. "I was surprised too." Valeria smiles and stares down at the ring. "Cory and I were never truly right for each other. We didn't fit, you know?" Valeria looks up to see Emma nod slowly.