Part 8: Alliance

It is loud in the bar, with the music blaring above the voices, making it impossible for anyone to hear anything other than Malachai's band. Ray has to keep reminding himself that he has a job to do and not to just sit and listen to his godson play. The kid is talented, and Ray has known that for quite a while, but there is a new confidence in Malachai. Valeria helped him; from that confidence, he is up on stage now, playing his heart out without a care in the world. The band has played a dozen times over the last few months and has acquired a following, making the crowd thick and rambunctious. Ray always works on these nights to keep an eye on the bar and Malachai.

From his vantage point at the base of the stairs of the main door, he can see the band, the bar, and Damian's office. Tonight is a rough night, and he has already had to throw out a handful of people. He is surprised the police haven't shown up to shut them down. The bouncer at the door shut off new entries two hours before due to the capacity limit. Something in the atmosphere tonight makes it seem much worse than normal, but Ray doesn't know what it is. It isn't the first time he has thrown people out, nor will it be the last, and he has thrown more people out on a regular night than tonight. Still, he can't put his finger on it.

Ray leaves his place by the stairs, sticks to the side wall, and makes his way toward the band. People around him jump around and sing loudly, though the music narrowly drowns them out. When he gets closer, Malachai gives him a wide grin, and Ray winks at him to provide him with more confidence. The crowd likes the music because they are loud, and protective plexiglass keeps them safe but allows the music to still be heard. Ray crosses in front of the stage, casually pushing an audience member back away from the clear wall, and continues. He is near the bar when he feels a hand on his shoulder. Usually, no one dares to touch him for fear of getting punched, but when Ray turns, he sees Damian with a look that makes his blood run cold. Damian motions to his office, and Ray quickly follows.

Once the door is shut, it gets quieter, thanks to the reinforced walls that would make normal-level music soundproof. "Denaya called," Damian reveals loudly, though it didn't matter what level the music was at; Ray's adrenaline now enables him to hear any voice. Ray pulls out his phone and sees he has several missed calls from Valeria and Denaya.

"Shit." Ray curses and looks up at Damian.

"Valeria is in route to the ER." The words hit Ray harder than any fist ever had.

"What?" Ray mumbles, frozen for a moment in fear. "That wasn't the plan, Damian. We were having a home birth, with Dr. Evenson on call...."

"Dr. Evenson was called into the hospital." Damian calmly approaches Ray, but his tone holds the air of urgency. "Denaya doesn't think Valeria is in labor, but she hasn't told her that. Denaya called an ambulance because something was wrong. She just doesn't know what."

Ray doesn't hear the rest of what Damian says. He grabs his leather jacket and keys off the office couch. Damian only stops him when Ray's hand turns the doorknob. "I will drive," Damian states and takes Ray's keys. It is probably the better idea because Ray can't think of anything but getting to Valeria as fast as possible. Damian leads the way, only stopping to give a hand motion to Malachai, telling him to wrap it up and tell the bartender to cut everyone off in ten minutes at midnight.

The car ride is quiet, and Ray's insides are twisting to the point where he nearly feels sick. To help ease his mind, Ray looks over at Damian to see him completely focused on getting to the hospital. He can see the worry in Damian's gaze, even without him looking back at Ray. "I got your back, Brother." Damian's voice is steady but weighted heavily. He must have seen Ray's terror eating him alive. He can't lose Valeria or the baby, not after losing Kylie. Not again. The only thing Ray hates most in this world is something beyond his control, something he can't stop. He couldn't save Kylie, which nearly broke him apart, but if he loses Valeria, he will fade into the hell he was born from. It would kill him, and he wouldn't even stop it. He wouldn't even try to fight if he lost her. The only thing that has kept him alive is Evie, but he could trust Damian and Denaya to look after her. That is why they are her godparents, in case something happens to him. Losing this baby now would be devastating, but losing the one person he loves most in this world would kill him.