XII

18 DAYS UNTIL THE MISSION

Phoenix and Bob finally showed up to the Hard Deck after Rooster and Jenna were each three drinks in. They grabbed drinks for themselves and they all slid into a booth, talking. Phoenix and Bob took one side and Rooster and Jenna were on the other. Rooster's arm was causally slung across the top of the booth, just barely missing her shoulders. If she sat up just a bit straighter, his arm would be around Jenna. Phoenix gave her a smirk as she sat across from Jenna. After a while, Rooster and Bob left to grab another round for themselves, leaving Phoenix and Jenna to talk.

"So you and Bradshaw are looking extra cozy tonight," Phoenix said, not wasting a minute. 

"Nice try," Jenna said. "We are absolutely talking about you and Hangman right now." Phoenix immediately turned pink and downed the rest of her beer.

"Okay," she responded. "Hit me."

Jenna laughed. "Alright, let's start at the beginning. How did you guys meet?"

"We actually met at Top Gun," she said, smiling.

"Okay so wait, let me get this straight," Jenna said. "You went to the academy with Rooster and you were at Top Gun with Hangman?"

"Yep!" Phoenix said. "And now we are all here. Funny how the world works, huh?"

"Definitely," Jenna replied.

"Jake and I actually really hated each other at first," She said, getting a far away look in her eyes. "Sometimes, we still do."

"So what happened in the program?" Jenna asked.

"Well," Phoenix started. "We were neck and neck for top of the class. He couldn't stand that I was just as good of a pilot as he was. Couldn't stand it. We argued almost every day. And then one time, all the pilots met here, at the Hard Deck, and he got absolutely wasted. I was pissed at him for getting so drunk during such high profile training, and I yelled at him. He stood there, listened to the whole thing, then told me that I was at my most beautiful when I was angry with him. After that night, I never saw him drink until we graduated."

"Who won at the end?" Jenna asked, intrigued.

"I did," Phoenix said proudly. "By just a hair."

"Oh I bet he lost it," Jenna said.

"Actually, quite the opposite. After the ceremony, we were all drinking and celebrating graduation together and he was the only one that brought me flowers. Said I deserved it, to which I responded that of course I did. He told me to shut up and just take the compliment, and I told him to make me. One thing led to another and now we're here." Phoenix smiled fondly at the memory.

"Where's 'here'?" Jenna asked, looking for clarification.

"We run into each other only so often, given that we are both assigned to different squadrons. There have been a few times where he's called me and I've called him, and we've met in the middle. It's not the healthiest thing in the world, I'll admit, but it works. I'd say it's like friends with benefits but like also with some feelings," Phoenix explained. "Feelings that include hating each other every now and then "

"So like enemies to lovers?" Jenna said, deadpanning. They both burst out laughing, tears coming to Jenna's eyes.

"Alright, now you've gotta tell me what happened between you and Rooster last night," Phoenix said excitedly. "I overheard something about breakfast!"

Jenna laughed and dove into the explanation of yesterday's and today's events. When she finished, Phoenix stayed silent and looks at her, puzzled.

"What?" Jenna asked. "Do I have something on my face?"