XV

16 DAYS BEFORE THE MISSION

"Then you're a Mitchell."

 Jenna sucked in a breath, recognizing that voice. She turned her head around slowly, and Maverick was standing on the sand in front of the door, staring at her. 

She looked at him, a tear slipping down her cheek. "I am? It would be batshit crazy if I was, right?" She asked, letting out the breath she was holding.

He let out a shaky laugh and came to sit across from Penny and Jenna. "It would be crazy if you weren't," he said. "You do look a lot like me, I just never had a reason to put two and two together until tonight. You even fly like me."

Jenna smiled a little, looking at him. They had the same hair color and the same slightly off-center smile. She'd never noticed the similarities either, but then she never had any idea that her father was even alive, let alone teaching her how to fly for a dangerous mission.

"Everyone always said I have my mom's eyes, though" Jenna said.

"Do you have a picture of her?" Maverick asked her. She nodded and got her phone from her pocket, pulling up a picture of her mom and her together when she was a toddler. Jenna's mom is holding her, smiling, while Jenna is grabbing for her necklace, the same one that's now around Jenna's neck. When she handed Maverick the phone, he zoomed in on her mom's face, eyes searching the picture.

"Yes, I'd also say that you do," Mav said, agreeing with Jenna. "I remember your mom. She caught my eye in a bar a few weeks before I got a new assignment. I was an instructor at Top Gun for about two months, and uh, let's just say that teaching was not the right job for young Maverick," he said, scratching the back of his head. "I'm not sure if it's a good fit even now."

"Why not?" Jenna asked. "You're doing a great job."

"Well, younger me was impulsive, cocky, and I flew dangerously. As it turns out, that wasn't what the Navy wanted. They didn't need a bunch of Mavericks flying all over the place and buzzing the towers. I got canned and was told to wait for new orders. I was also going through a breakup with my girl at the time. She got a promotion at the Pentagon and the long distance thing didn't shake out the right way. I was young, and free from Top Gun, and didn't wanna be tied down." 

"And my mom?" Jenna asked, eager to hear about her from his perspective.

"I had two encounters with your mom. I met Helen in a bar on the other side of the base," Maverick started. "I remember it was really crowded and loud when I introduced myself, so that's where she must have gotten 'Peter' from. We had a few drinks together and she wanted to leave, so I drove her home. Her roommates came out to the car to bring her inside, and that was that. I didn't see her after that until the night before I left. We ended up in the same bar again, I told her I was leaving, and one thing led to another."

"And here I am," Jenna said, shaking her head in disbelief.

"And here you are," Maverick repeated back. "For the short time that I did know your mother, she was a very fun person to be around. She must have done an incredible job raising you; I'm just sorry that I was never there. And I'm very sorry that she is no longer with us."

"You didn't know, and how could you?" Jenna said, trying to reassure him.

"Well, I'm here now, and I want to do everything I can to step up for you," Maverick said. Penny reached across the table and squeezed his hand, smiling. 

"Thank you, Maverick," Jenna said, putting her hand on top of both of theirs.

"'Dad' is probably too much too soon, right?" Maverick asked, awkwardly.

"Yeah, just a a little," Jenna laughed. "We'll get there. And not to be weird about this, but is there any way we can get a test, just to make sure?"

"Yeah that's probably a good idea," Maverick said. "We can go to the lab tomorrow before work."

"Okay great," Jenna said, rising from her seat slowly. "I'm gonna head home and try to get some sleep before tomorrow."

"Good idea, Jenna," Penny assured her, getting up too. "You've had a big day today."

Maverick put a hand on Penny's arm. "Pen, will you stay here for a bit?"

Penny looked down at Mav, a smile on her face. "Of course," she said, holding his hand and sitting back down.

"Bradley, hun, will you take Jenna home? She probably shouldn't drive distracted like this." Penny asked, turning her head towards the door. Jenna whipped her head around and spotted him standing in the doorway. She didn't even notice he was here.

"Yeah, sure thing Penny," Rooster grunted.

"Get her home safe, Bradshaw," Maverick said to him. 

"And he's already stepping into the overprotective Dad role," Jenna said, laughing quietly. Rooster snorted in response as she bid Penny and Maverick goodnight and followed him back to the parking lot. He opened the door to his car for her and then got in on the other side. Jenna was expecting him to say something, but they rode in silence.

"Thanks for bringing Maverick back tonight," Jenna finally said, assuming that's what Penny asked him to do. Rooster hummed in response, nodding his head once.

"Have you got anything to say to me, or are we just gonna not talk?" Jenna asked, a little frustrated.

"Yeah, okay, how was your night?" He asked pathetically, not looking at her. Jenna rolled her eyes.

"Seriously? You know exactly how my night went. You were standing there the whole time," Jenna said, exasperated. Rooster pulled into the parking lot of her apartment and parked his car.

"Well, looks like Mav's your dad. Congratu-fuckin-lations," Rooster said with a sneer on his face. "I've got other things to worry about."

"Oh yeah? Like that blonde from the bar?" Jenna said before she could stop herself. She jumped out of the car and slammed the door hard. "I don't know what your deal is today, but I don't like this Rooster," Jenna continued, pointing at him. "Figure out your shit, Bradley."

Jenna walked over to her door and turned to look back at Rooster. He was sitting in the driver's seat with his head in his hands, elbows leaning on the steering wheel. She entered her apartment, shutting the door loudly. Jenna leaned against the front door, silently begging for Rooster to come after her. But then she heard his tires squeal as he drove off, and she collapsed against the door in tears. 

---------------------

AN: Buckle up guys, this is gonna be a wild one. Thanks for reading!