XXIII

4 DAYS UNTIL THE MISSION

After letting Rooster know they were going to have a cookout if the rain let up, Jenna drove home quickly and ran into her apartment. She took a fast shower, pulled on some comfy sweatpants and a t shirt, and began tidying her apartment before her friends came over. Before she knew it, there was a knock on the door and she threw the laundry she was carrying into her bedroom and shut the door. Semi-satisfied with the state of her apartment, she moved through the kitchen and opened up the front door.

"Hi Bob!" Jenna greeted the pilot standing in her doorway.

"Hey Jenna," Bob replied with a smile. He handed her a large, covered bowl. "I brought this for tonight. It's fruit salad."

"Perfect," Jenna smiled as she stepped backwards to let Bob into her apartment. She peered out of the doorway and into the parking lot, noting that the rain had finally stopped. She looked for Phoenix but failed to spot her friend. "Hey, Phe didn't come with you?" 

"She told me to go without her, she's dealing with something," Bob said with a shrug of his shoulders.

"Probably dealing with someone," Jenna said with a small smirk, remembering the argument she overhead in the hallway back at the hangar. Bob laughed and walked further into Jenna's living room, claiming a spot on the couch. As soon as Jenna had put the fruit in the fridge and sat down with Bob, another knock came from the front of the apartment. Jenna groaned slightly, getting up from her seat and headed back over to the door, opening it to reveal Rooster. Jenna felt her face light up instantly at the sight of him, and her cheeks warmed when she spotted the flowers in his left hand.

"These are for you," Rooster said, stepping over the threshold. "As a thank you for hosting."

"You didn't have to do that," Jenna said, grinning as she accepted the bouquet, her fingers brushing his. "But I am very glad you did," she said with a wink. Rooster laughed and followed her into her apartment, heading towards the countertop in the kitchen to put down the bags of chips he also brought. Bob looked at the flowers and then at Jenna with a smirk on his face, but said nothing. Jenna turned back to the kitchen just as Rooster was finished filling up a vase he found with water for the flowers. He handed it over to Jenna as she untied them.

"These are so pretty" She said, arranging them in the vase.

"The second prettiest thing in the room," Rooster said, winking at her. Before Jenna could respond, Bob cut in.

"Oh Bradshaw, you're too kind. I am pretty, aren't I?" Bob joked and the three pilots burst out laughing. Jenna's phone rang, interrupting them.

"Hey Phe," Jenna wheezed, still trying to recover from laughing.

"Hey Kill," Phoenix replied. "I'm here but any chance you can come outside for a second?"

"Yeah sure, be right there," Jenna said and ended the call, slipping her phone into her pocket. She slid past Rooster and exited her apartment, only to find both Phoenix and Hangman standing in the parking lot, the latter with a shit-eating grin on his face. Jenna looked at Phoenix a little confused, as her friend pulled her off to the side.

"I'm sorry I didn't ask if he could come," Phoenix said, shaking her head. "But he basically begged to come with me tonight." Before Jenna could respond, Hangman interrupted.

"I did not beg," he scoffed. "I simply wanted to apologize for my behavior earlier and also hang out with my girl's friends." Jenna raised her eyebrows at the second part of the sentence and Phoenix gave her a look that said she'd explain later. 

"Plus, I come bearing gifts," Hangman said, holding up a few packets of steaks. "Nat said you guys were having a cookout tonight. You can't not have steaks."