It's Been a Long, Long Time (Chapter 2)

A bit of Marty's recovery and a stroll down memory lane while he tries to get settled in. Also foreshadowing oooh.

This chapter is a bit of a filler one, but I didn't want to just have a time skip to Marty being better. That felt like it would defeat the whole point of him being injured in the first place. I also wanted this to be a chapter where we could look at Marty's character a bit and understand him better. (And all the trauma I have to give my characters for flavor lol)

I'll probably have at least one more interlude chapter like this, where it will show Marty actually reading the stuff he got and running into the guys who helped him.

~

"No I don't wanna be alone now, just biding my time. I need somebody dearly, and darling, you'd be sublime" -I Will Always Think of You from Bojack Horseman

~

When he next wakes up, it's to the white walls of a hospital. He blinks, and shuts his eyes again, the bright lights were blinding. The sound of a door opening forced his attention. It was Speedwagon, Marty felt such a joy to see him, it had been too long!

"Marty? Ah, you're awake! How're you doing?"

Speedwagon looked worried, but Marty didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

" 'm alright."

He let out a bit of a chuckle

" 's sooooo good to see you."

Despite his apparent excitement, his body wouldn't obey him and move, to sit up and greet the man properly.

He frowned at this and Speedwagon let out a snort of amusement.

"They've got you on some strong stuff, eh? Thought I suppose it's needed, the doctors told me you could've died."

His face took on a sadder expression, and Marty didn't like that, he wanted the man to be happy. Jokes made people happy, right? Marty giggled.

" wish I did."

Oh, that wasn't what he meant to say, oh well, it was kind of funny in its own way. Unfortunately, this just seemed to make Speedwagon feel worse. He looked like he'd just been hit, before quickly approaching his bedside looking concerned.

The sound the wheels made was fun. It wasn't until that thought was out of his mouth he'd realized he said it, but Speedwagon didn't react to that.

"Why do you say that?"

"Huh?"

"About... dying Marty. Why did you say that?"

Marty let out another dilerious laugh.

"Cuz 's funny."

He paused to giggle again.

"One time I have the chance to be useful, and I screw it up. 'M not even able to be food right."

He mumbled the last part of his sentence, already growing drowsy. Speedwagon was speaking to him again, but it sounded like he was underwater. Marty felt his eyes close on their own, and before he knew it, he'd drifted off.

~

When he next woke, it was to the feeling that he'd had a weird dream, of course with the nature of most dreams he could barely remember any details about it. Something about Speedwagon? Ah well, he supposed it didn't matter. His dreams hadn't been normal since... since everything. Blinking the sleep from his eyes, he sat up, as the sound of a door opening drew his attention. Struck with a sense of dejà vu that he couldn't explain, he was surprised to see someone he didn't know walk through the door.
It was an older man, he had short salt and pepper hair, a labcoat, and was staring down at a clipboard. When he looked up, he seemed startled to see Marty.