Smoke Signal

Chapter Summary

The soldiers watch as the new Squad Levi begins to learn new things about the enemy. Old wounds are opened for Levi and the Shinganshina Trio as they watch the episode.

[-]

The episode started with a shot of strange white birds circling in the sky. A crashing sound could be heard in the distance. The camera focused on a blue-green eye, staring up into the sky, dark strands of hair blowing over it. A shadow was shown silhouetted on strange, yellow dirt. “Beyond the wall, there’s a sea. Or so Armin said,” Eren’s voice narrated.

Armin gasped. “Oh, my god.”

Eren was shown staring up at the sun. His hair was longer and shaggy, reaching the base of his nape, and he wore his ODM harness. The crashing noise was louder and was almost definitely water. Eren lowered his head, and the camera angle changed, showing he was in front of a wide, blue expanse.

“Eren!” Armin gasped. “The sea! You’re at the sea!”

Eren was staring at the TV, slack-jawed. “It exists,” he said, eyes wide with wonder.

“But, past the sea,” Eren kept narrating. “I’ve always wondered what was beyond that.”

“Jeez,” Jean scowled as the opening began to play. “You’ve already found the sea. Don’t get too greedy.”

Eren glared at him but turned back at the TV as the episode continued.

The shot opened onto a small, thatch-roofed cabin in the middle of the woods. A wagon stood outside as three figures carried boxes towards the cottage. “You just try to steal some food, Sasha,” Jean growled. “I’ll get Captain Levi to chop you up into nice, tiny, bite-sized pieces.”

Everybody burst out laughing.

The door opened to show Eren and Connie cleaning. Connie had a bandana tied around his head, while Eren’s mouth and hair were both covered by white cloths. Eren turned around as Sasha, Jean, and Armin entered the room.

The laughter got louder.

“Why are you even wearing a cloth?” Sasha giggled. “You don’t have any hair!”

Jean turned to face Mikasa, expression serious. “I think,” he said. “That the Captain’s being a bad influence on Eren.”

Levi rolled his eyes. “Brats.”

“I won’t! Probably. . .”

“What?”

“Hey! Did you guys wipe the dust and stuff off your shoes before you came in?”

Jean glared at Eren. “Of course we didn’t! Can’t you see all of the stuff we’re carrying?”

“Do you seriously think that’ll satisfy Captain Levi?” Eren’s eyes were wide as he visibly panicked. “If I hadn’t personally given your sheets hospital corners this morning –”

“Quit nagging! Who are you, my mom?”            

Connie threw his head back, laughing.

“If Eren’s a mom, then Levi’s a mother-in-law!” Hange chortled. Even Erwin had to fight to hide his smile at that.

Historia and Mikasa stepped into the room, both of them holding firewood, Mikasa with an axe slung casually over her shoulder. “We’re back.”

“Wait, were you just chopping firewood?” Armin looked worried.

“Gotta stay in shape.”

“You got grabbed by a Titan! You should be in bed.”

Eren snorted. “Typical Mikasa.” She slugged him in the arm. “Ow!”

“I tried to stop her, but she wouldn’t listen,” Eren grumbled. “I saw her doing sit-ups earlier.” Jean started.

“How dare you, you peeping Tom!”

“Huh? How does that constitute peeping, you –”

“Yeah, how does it constitute peeping?” Sasha asked. Jean turned bright red, looking like he wanted nothing more than to be able to sink into the couch cushions.

“Abs and boobs do not a good combination make,” he muttered. The commanding officers stared at him, not sure whether they were meant to be confused or scolding him.

“Mikasa! You do know that you’re not a wild animal, right?” Armin fretted.

Sasha stopped taking potatoes out of a crate, a nostalgic expression on her face. “It’s almost like we’re back in the Cadet Corps, huh?”

“Is that potatoes I see?” Connie wiggled his eyebrows (or tried to, at least).

Ymir let out a loud cough that sounded suspiciously like ‘potato girl!’