Prologue Pt.2

"I am more powerful than I am damaged and I will rise from any abyss you drown me in." ~Nikita Gill

~~~

Abby let out a yell. Loud sounds erupted through the small house. Her mother ran in front of Abby, hiding Abby's figure behind her.

"I've been meaning to kill that son of a bitch." A man chuckled deeply. "Now..." Boots thudded throughout the room, "Where's the money?"

Her mother rose slightly, glaring at the man in front of her. Abby tried peeking over her mother but the only thing she was able to see was a tall man wearing all black; his face hidden under the shinning light of her closet. He towered over the small bedroom, taking up all the space. He didn't belong in here.

"I have no idea of what you speak of." Mother declared, standing upright. Her voiced filled with power; power she didn't have before.

"Don't be a liar. He-" He pointed the gun to her dead father. "-owed me 15k and now since he's gone, you-" he stopped mid sentence, pointing the gun at her mother, "owe the money, now."

Mother flinched, "15k?"

"Bingo! If I don't get it-" The man cocked his gun, bring it closer to her mother's forehead. "Then I'll kill you as well."

Abby squirmed behind her mother, trying to see what was happening but her mother's arms held her steady in place. She fought so hard against her mother's grip but it was no use.

"B-but I don't have it."

"Ooo.. Now that's a shame." The man clucked. "Goodnight, beautiful."

The sound of the gunshot filled the little room. Her mothers grip loosened around Abby's shoulders before her body dropped limply to the floor.

Abby's heart stopped as she looked at both her parents dead on the floor. Shock filled her. She couldn't understand what she was seeing or feeling. So much feelings clouded Abby but soon she realized her mother was gone.

She fell to her knees as realization hit her, trying to shake her mother awake. "Mama, wake up! Please!" Tears streamed down her delicate face.

Her body shook with each sob that tore through her. Her mother, her hero, her rock, her protector was now gone. Her world was gone.

"Shame." The man beside her muttered. His voice held no emotions.

Abby glanced up at him through blurry eyes, "Why would you hurt Mama?"

He looked down at her, expression unreadable before kneeling down to get to her level. His body language was no different than her father's. One monster gone but another showed up. "How old are you, kid?"

Abby stared at him in disbelief. He didn't seem to be fazed by the two lifeless bodies beside him. Blood streaked one side of his cheek but he stayed oblivious to it or he just didn't care. Whose blood was it? Abby would've answered him if he wasn't such a heartless and ignorant man.

Instead, she threw herself on top of her mother's pale body, inhaling her lavender scent she still carried even after being shot. Abby was afraid it would be the last time she would ever inhale her mother's calming scent.

Her mother would be gone forever... So would the scent. Abby's heart felt broken, incomplete, and utterly gone. A part of her was now dead. She would never have a mother who read her bed time stories to sleep. She would never have a mother who would hold her when she was scared or couldn't sleep. She would never experience that motherly love anymore; the love other kids have been privileged to have.

It was all gone.

Abby remained sobbing until her body couldn't handle the tremors that violently shook her. She felt herself drifting off to sleep as she clung herself beside her mother's cold body. Abby didn't know if the man left, she couldn't hear anything past the whimpers that escaped her mouth and the hiccups that ran through her fragile body. She stayed beside her mother, gripping onto her mother's black cardigan. Her eyes grew heavy with each inhale and exhale she could manage.

A pair of strong arms wrapped themselves around Abby, pulling her away from her mother. Abby thrashed for minutes, pleading the arms to let her go until her body gave in to the exhaustion that clouded her head. Her head was pressed against a warm chest as she clutched the piece of fabric in her grip. Her body became limp against the  warm chest; her hiccups subsiding as her body drifted into a deep sleep.

Last thing she heard was a sigh of defeat from above her head, "You'll pay off their debt."

"M-mama." she whimpered sleepily, sighing quietly into oblivion.