Chapters III

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it" -Albert Einstein.
~

~~

I don't remember drifting off to sleep but before I knew it, the bright sun was peeking through my blue curtains, waking me up. The sunlight was directly on my face, hurting my eyes. Even with my eyes closed, I could still see the bright sun. I should've bought new curtains when I got the chance. Something I really hate is when i'm sleeping and the sun is right in my face.

Getting up, I change into a pair of black leggings with a plain red tank top. Even though it's only the start of Autumn, Arizona was still blazing hot. Don't get me started on nights. way worse than mornings.

My bedroom door swings open, startling me from the sudden movement. Chris struts in, inviting himself into my room without permission: "Matthew wants to see you." With that, he shuts the door walking out.

Chris and I weren't exactly close. Not as close as Gideon and I were but I still hold no grudge against Chris. He's just doing his job. Same as everyone is. Sometimes, Chris would treat as his little sister; other days he would completely ignore my existence. Like I said, I don't take anything personal.

" Good morning to you too" I mutter.

He wasn't my priority thought. I need to figure out what Matthew needed so early in the morning.

What could Matthew possible want from me? Today is a new day. I feel like a new person. Seeing him will only ruin my mood today. Deep down, I already feel that he's going to mess up my day.

I gather as much courage as I can, practically dragging myself downstairs to Matthew's office. I can't practically see the look on his face. That stupid smirk he likes to carry. That smirk is the face of someone who thinks they have everyone in check. Not for long. Just you wait, Matthew.

As I walk through Matthew's door, I notice two gentlemen's already standing in the office near the wall. Both didn't seem to fit in this small room. They both stood, arms behind their backs, towering over Matthew desk. Their stance told me they were bored already. I always thought this office was huge, but seeing them in here, made it not so huge anymore.

I dont pay any mind to them as I walk up to Matthews desk, "You called?"

Matthew clears his throat, using his hand to motion that i need to fix my face. I sigh before plastering a fake smile on my face: "Better?" I don't see a point in smiling. My back was to the men behind me. It's not like they had x-ray vision.

Matthew glares at me before clearing his throat again: "Your fiancé's here."

My lips twitch at the word fiancé: "I don't have a fiancé." i let the words sink in: "Do you know why?" I lean forward towards him, his face already twisting into a grimace: "Because I'm not getting married."

Someone behind me, cleared their throat. I pulled my gaze away from Matthew's now red face, glancing behind my shoulder.

The tallest figure takes a step forward; making impossible to make out his features: "Nice to meet you, Abigail." The way he said my name was almost as if he was tasting the name. I've heard that voice before; I just couldn't place my finger on it.

Ignoring the man behind me, I turn back to Matthew: "I'm not doing this."

Matthew's expression lightens as he turns to both the men behind me: "Can you give us a minute, hmm?"

Footsteps shuffle behind me, accompanied with the sound of the door closing. Before I have time to react Matthew rises up, taking a hold on my jaw. I grab his forearm, trying to loosen his grip on my jaw. The pain was starting to flare up my jaw causing my eyes to water.