chapter vi

The sun was beautifully bright, shining like the soft smile of a proud mother down on Arendelle. (Y/n)'s wide, curious eyes dragged over every chip of stone wall and crack of wooden step, never having really walked through the streets like a normal person. Alexander walked beside him, eager to see more cute reactions from the faerie beside him. Although Alexander had originally had the idea to go shopping with (Y/n) in an effort to hang out with Hans, now he thought he could totally do away with that idea. (Y/n) was enough fun on his own. 

(Y/n)'s gaze was currently glued at the ground as he walked, entranced by the sound his shoes were making against the cobblestone. He'd never heard the clicking on stone before, although he'd been awestruck by the sharp noise when Emil used to pace around his room. Alexander watched after him, enjoying the way the fae skipped and jumped from stone to stone. He hadn't expected much in the way of friends, definitely not some fallen star gracing itself among them, but Alexander really couldn't complain. Even if there was no chance of Hans, there would always be (Y/n).

As the two walked about the shoppe street, something seemed to catch (Y/n)'s eye in the toy shop window. Alexander closed in behind the frostbitten boy, following his line of sight. A small hobby horse meant to be put on a shelf or used with dolls - something that Alexander had never really cared for. But the way (Y/n)'s eyes glistened at the hobby horse, the ginger couldn't help but think well, a bit of coin missing from his purse wouldn't hurt too much. 

"Want to go in and get it?" His voice made (Y/n) startle, whipping his head around to look at Alexander before turning his gaze back to the hobby horse. 

"No, it's okay." The fae didn't add anything more, but Alexander couldn't help feeling he had something else on his mind. His eyes were distant, unfocused, and his mouth was gently pushed into a downward curve. The ginger tilted his head, sky blue eyes trained on the adorable profile of the curve of (Y/n)'s cheeks, lips pushed into a small pout. Alexander was silent, just watching as (Y/n) went through a myriad of emotion while he was thinking, the redhead charmed by how open (Y/n)'s heart was. Seeming to come to a decision, (Y/n) turned to the younger prince with a glimmer of hope on his face, lips parted as he prepared to speak before he was interrupted. 

"Alexander? You're alright?" Alexander's face fell slightly hearing the familiar voice, schooling himself before turning to face his new friend. 

"Hans! Are you alright? Emil seemed very angry with you the other day, and I'd hate for you to get executed on your first visit to Arendelle." Hans grinned sweetly, resting a pristine gloved hand on Alexander's broad shoulder chummily. His cheeks were tinted lightly with pink, something that caught (Y/n)'s eye. Something niggled darkly in the fae's chest, staring at the handsome face of the stranger. He'd never been interrupted like that before ... Seeing movement in his periphery, his eyes landing on the everpresent figure of the dulled out boy. Hans tilted his head, in a similar way that Alexander had, but with a lot less charm. 

"Alex, who's this? A new friend of yours? He's very handsome," Alexander grimaced but quickly wiped it off his face. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if (Y/n) made more friends - if Alexander could prove people wouldn't treat (Y/n) badly then perhaps Emil would get rid of that stick up his ass. Smiling, Alexander moved from under Hans' grasp and instead wrapped his arms around (Y/n), bringing the young man closer. 

"This is (Y/n)! Isn't he gorgeous? He's the man from the garden!" Hans' expression became more open and surprised, brows raising towards his hairline. 

"My! Well, he cleans up quite nicely! I'd say it was worth the new king's ire if it was to assist you." (Y/n)'s face stayed blank, blinking at Hans. The silence between them was deafening, only the idle ruckus marketplace in the background cutting through the awkwardness. The longer the lull in conversation dragged on, the more Hans seemed to wilt, clearing his throat.