chapter vii

"Duke, I don't believe this is an alliance that would benefit Arendelle to its utmost - " The Duke of Weselton scoffed, pacing in front of Emil's desk and gesticulating wildly.

"Your Majesty, I do so believe that it would greatly benefit both of our regions to collude on such a matter! Your father agreed to a similar collusion, did he not?" The contract the Duke had provided for Emil, beneath all the purple prose and technical jargon, it was a sham of a deal. It was restrictive should Emil need flexibility and access through the strait, as well as weakening the ability to trade with other kingdoms and dukedoms, not just the Southern Isles. It was a very manipulative but clever move on the Duke's part to bring up the alliance his father had forged with the Duke of Weselton when the Duke had hair that wasn't grey and his father wasn't sleeping on the seafloor. It probably would've worked if Emil liked his father. Too bad he didn't.

"Apologies, my Duke, but I'd rather consult with my advisor over this and continue this discussion even after the coronation festivities are over," Emil spoke with an even and polite tone, doing all he could to look the part of a naive but well meaning king. The Duke had no choice but to falter under the soft gaze and charming smile Emil sent him, unhappy with the presence of an advisor to look over the contract but unable to go against the decisions of the new king for fear of treason.

"Your choice, your Grace. However, I hope with more experience you will become more certain in your decisions. The people of Arendelle deserve a stalwart king, not an indecisive one." And with that the rat faced Duke strutted out of Emil's office with a swoop of his combover. Once the heavy double doors slammed shut, Emil grit his teeth, smile twisting into a hateful grimace. That damn Duke had more balls on him than a discount whore in a brothel. The audacity to question him - no, to even bring this contract to him and treat him like a fool - it was almost too much for Emil's short temper to bear.

He needed his little snow angel to calm him down and he needed him now.

Rising from his seat, Emil glanced out the large lattice windows, watching the sea roil and turn, demure and inviting. Emil strived to have that kind of charisma - the kind that drew people in with his sweet voice and handsome face - and once they were in his clutches, he'd crush them if they took one wrong step, one missed chance. That enchanting cruelty - he wanted it.

Today was the last day of the coronation festivities, the ball being held at the end of the night said to be the greatest the castle staff had hosted. It was fashioned after his father's final coronation ball, which he didn't mind. He hadn't been there to witness it so this was his chance to make the ball his own, since he didn't have much experience in that sphere.

Putting that out of his mind, he turned to walk out of his office, eager to find (Y/n). Maybe he could reserve the fae's first dance for him.

~

The chandeliers hanging in the ballroom cast a gentle golden glow over everyone, the jewels on dresses twinkling and the polished metal of monocles and canes glinting. Emil stood on the dais, the thrones for him and Alexander seated side by side, as he surveyed the crowd. He'd already given his speech, thanking the nobles and royalty for coming to his coronation and for their never ending support, knowing full well that every transaction between him and them would have an underlying motive.

Alexander had been present as well, surprisingly enjoying his time with Emil on the dais, before he'd congratulated his brother on his becoming king before running off to play with that Westergaard boy. Although Emil may have been miffed at him for the trespassing and unintentional danger he brought to (Y/n), it didn't make sense for him to ban the one son the Southern Isles had sent in a diplomatic act. Alexander could have his fun - it didn't seem like the two redheads would see each other ever again anyway.