Episode 17: A fire without firefighters to extinguish

27 of September of 1998

27 of September of 1998. Jill's apartment, Raccoon City, United States. 10:27 A.M.

Jill woke up, feeling sleepy. The pills that she has been using to sleep started to loose effect on her. She couldn't determine if it was because her body was becoming resistant toward the drug or because the thrill, tension and horrors that she has been facing since the outbreak of the virus.

A little sense of pessimism invaded her when she heard the sirens of police cars and firefighters trucks. Besides the best efforts of the police, hers, the military and even Umbrella, the things were only getting worse with the time. There was no end for the undead and each person that was killed was added to their files, as well that the source of the outbreak hasn't been found get and less the creation of a vaccine.

However, Jill took those ideas away. She needed to have faith and be strong. For herself, for the people that was still alive in Raccoon City, for her police comrades that were still on duty and the once that died and were dying in the service of duty. She went to the bathroom, did her necessities, ate a fast breakfast, took her eight-pocket belt with her guns and went out of her apartment, going go the undead concrete jungle that was Raccoon City to do everything that she could to help and restore a little of order in the city.

She went out of her apartment building and found out that the top floors of the building nest to the cinema were on fire and the firefighters and the police officers were working to turn it off. Jill noticed that the numbers of police officers were less than yesterday, as well that the number of firefighters was very low. She quickly went to the one that seemed to the captain of the firefighters.

-Sir, where is the rest of your men?- Jill asked.

-Or too fright or too dead to come. We have lost a lot of men due to those zombies and I don't blame the ones that decided to stay on their homes or to escape this condemned city- the captain said.

Jill didn't continued the chat and instead asked for direction to help to turn off the fire. The captain ordered Jill and a group of police men to put the fire hose in a hydrant in order to get more water. They were on their for the hydrant when they started to heard several screams and gunshots.

-We need backup now! These things are fast!- a police officer shouted while firing.

Jill and several police officers attended the call for help and went as fast as they could to the blockade, where they found that several Hunters were attacking the police officers that were making guard in the outer side of the blockade. The police officers were shooting to the Hunters, which quickly jumped in zig zag to evade the shoots while approaching them. It was a great group of Hunters, like 6 or 7 of them.

-"What the...!? I have never seen so many of them together before. They must have learned to hunt in groups. But from where they come from, from an Umbrella lab? Or they have been deployed by Umbrella?"- Jill thought while tacking her Assault Shotgun out.