Chapter 2: The new podcast

Bheegi bheegi raaton mein

Meethi meethi baaton mein

Aisi barsaton mein

Kaisa lagta hain?

Ah ha….it is raining since morning. After a long summer, this monsoon is truly a relief and a pure bliss. It must be raining in most of the places and I pray that monsoon comes soon to those places where people did not witness rain this year till now. Oh! I just forgot to introduce myself. Hey everyone, I’m Mini Sharma, your podcaster, welcome you in this new podcast where I will be telling you a story, the story which is based on reality, the story of Panchhi’s life.

Iss baarish ke mausam mein garmagarm chaay aur pakode ke saath mazaa lijiye iss naya safar ka. Bane rahiye humare saath. (In this season of monsoon, with steaming hot tea and pakodas, enjoy this new journey. Stay tuned.)

*****

The time is half past twelve in the afternoon. The regular morning rush has decreased in Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus. Weekly Gorakhpur – Mumbai CSMT  Antyodaya Express has arrived there just few minutes ago. A girl of mid 20’s, medium stature, wearing a vermilion red Rajasthani kurta with Rajasthani coat and greenish yellow patiala is getting off the train, looking here and there with wonder in her eyes.

Her cellphone rings….

Haan Maa, I have reached just now….no, I couldn’t find her yet, but you don’t worry…. Wait she is calling, let me answer her call and I’ll call you back surely after meeting her, okay, bye, love you.

She answers the other call. The caller initiates the conversation —

Panchhi, yaar, where are you?

Panchhi: I am still in the platform heading towards the direction where all other passengers are going.

Caller: Okay, ask anyone the way towards waiting area and from there you will find the exits, I’m waiting there.

Asking a co-passenger, Panchhi starts moving towards the waiting area. She is not habituated with much crowd which is bothering her, yet she is excited for the reason that she has finally reached Mumbai. At first, her parents did not agree at all with her decision of making career in far away place. Is was not easy to convince them. With all these thoughts in her mind Panchhi reaches one of the exit gates.

‘Panchhi..’ – a familiar voice reaches her ear. Turning to her right, she could finally meet her school friend, Avantika, who was waiting for her since 12 noon.

Journey was okay, naah? Avantika asks. Panchhi nods. Needless to say, this type of questions are asked to initiate a conversation. Avantika continues asking —

Did you have breakfast in train?

Panchhi: Yeah, but I need to freshen up first, overnight journeys are always very hectic.

Avantika: Then let’s get into a cab and go home, my Mom is waiting for you.

Meanwhile Panchhi calls up her mother for giving the updates. After ending the call, they get inside a cab.

Panchhi is feeling a bit awkward as she is going to stay at Avantika’s place for how long she even doesn’t know. They used to study in same school in Bhopal until middle of class V. It has been more than 15 years Avantika with her family shifted here in Mumbai because of her father’s transferable job. Thus their regular meeting at school came to an end and thus their friendship. Some years later, by means of social media, they could rekindle their friendship, thanks to advancement of technology. At present, they are not like just familiar but not close friends either. But she has no other person to help her here. So it is her compulsion to stay there.