The Middle

When she awoke the next morning, Aileen laid in her bed, staring at the ceiling. Her mouth stretched into the biggest grin as she recalled her date with Eddie the night before. It had been absolutely perfect. He had been so sweet and had tried so hard to make the evening perfect for her. Getting out of bed, she thought about how excited she was to see him at school. After last night, and after that kiss, god that kiss, all doubts she had about herself and him had vanished. With him, she had never felt more beautiful or more seen.

Choosing a pair of acid wash jeans and a black and white striped shirt, she got ready for the day, trying to make her self up a little more than usual. Fluffing her hair, she looked at herself in the mirror, smiling again. Being on the bigger side, she had always had some confidence issues. But lately those intrusive thoughts slowly faded into the recesses of her mind. She would actually wake and feel beautiful. Grabbing her bag, she made her way downstairs.

"Good morning, sweetie." Her mother greeted her with a smile. "How was your date last night?" Glancing at the peonies that Eddie had gifted her the night before, Aileen smiled brightly. Pulling out a chair at the kitchen table, Aileen sat and said, "Oh, it was great. Eddie is just so..." "Dreamy?" Her mom interrupted with laugh. "Yeah that's one way to put it." Sitting across from her, her mother placed a plate down in front of Aileen, her smile faltering a little. "I'm glad you had a great time, Aileen baby. But I wish you had told me you were seeing someone. He seems like a very nice young man. But I want you to be careful." Pausing to take a sip of her coffee, her mother met her eyes knowingly. "New relationships are great, but if the time comes when you decide to get intimate..." Choking on her toast, Aileen held her fist up to her mouth coughing. "Oh my god, mom. Please tell me you're not trying to have THAT talk with me!"

Aileen's mother leaned back in her chair, shrugging. "I think it's important. You've not had a serious boyfriend like this before." "He's not my boyfriend. And we are hardly serious." Aileen interjected defensively. She wanted them to be just that though. Her mother reached over, taking Aileen's hand in hers. "But you want him to be. And based off of what I saw between you two last night, however briefly, I would say he wants you two to be as well."

Giving her moms hand a squeeze, Aileen smiled at her. After all that had happened between Aileen's mother and father, she knew her mom would be especially cautious with who ever her daughter decided to be with. But Eddie wasn't like her father had been. He would never make her feel like she was less than. He would never threaten to hurt her, or actually act on those threats. He was so much better. She knew he wouldn't do anything to hurt her. "Don't worry, mom. Eddie is a really good guy. And he is always a gentleman. So please, don't worry. If we ever get to that point, I'll be careful. So please, do not try to explain the birds and then bees to me." Sylvia gave a small chuckle, standing up. "Okay, baby. I'm glad to hear that. I have to get going, but I'll see you tonight when I get home. I love you." "Love you too, mom."

Aileen finished her breakfast and looked at the time. The bus would be by soon. Placing her plate and glass in the dishwasher, she shouldered her bag and made her way to the door. When she opened it, standing on the other side with his hand raised, ready to knock, was Eddie.

They stared at each other for a second, before Eddie broke out into that heart wrenching smile. "Good morning, Princess." "Eddie! Hi! What are you doing here?" Holding out his hand, Eddie motioned towards his van. "I'm here to escort you to school. Unless you want to ride the bus?" Placing her hand in his, Aileen smiled brightly at the man before her. With a teasing tone, Aileen closed the door behind her, pulling Eddie along and said, "You're just slightly more preferable to the bus." Tugging her closer, he planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Only slightly? Guess I'll have to work on that."

As he always did, Eddie opened the van door for Aileen, helping her in. The drive to school was so much more enjoyable with Eddie. They talked about plans for the day, things they were expecting from the classes they have, joking about various teachers. When they finally pulled up to the school, they sat together for a second. Looking at Aileen, Eddie tucked her hair behind her ear. "So." "So." "How should we go about this?" Raising a brow inquisitively, Aileen asked, "Go about what?" Caressing her cheek, Eddie nodded his head towards the school. Students were milling about, socializing with one another before the school day begun. Feeling a bit lost, Aileen tilted her head to the side. "I'm not following, Eddie."