Chapter 6: The Balcony Talk

He’d scoured for weeks and checked every lead he could but the Joker was gone. Every hideout he’d gone to was wiped cleaned, scrubbed down, and abandoned. It was like he’d evaporated into thin air and was now just a memory, and why? Batman wasn’t entirely sure himself of it but something felt different. Was this all just a trap? A ploy to lower his guard and pull him into a false sense of security? Maybe. That was Joker’s game and the rules always shifted but the victory was the same goal—but it was like he’d taken himself straight off the board. Gotham had returned back to that niggling but perpetual peace that was beginning to haunt him so much so that after three weeks of pure silence with only little scraps with criminals here and there, he had realized he spent most his time looking out for Harley. He’d told himself that it was because the Joker would go back to her at some point, but that half-truth was enough for him, for now.

That rising pressure in his chest and the weakness he’d feel whenever she looked out towards him was beginning to suffocate him every little bit more each night. He’d sit in blackness, listening to the whistling wind on snow-kissed rooftops, brooding away while trying to piece together these feelings he’d pushed down. It was all speculation and deliberation at this point. Was he coming here because of the Joker, really? Or was it just because of Harley? Every night he’d think of her beaming proudly, smiling at him. He’d think of the night in the vault, or the way she felt in his arms. It was all just to pinpoint that spark, that electrical push that made him feel himself pulling towards her. That same pull was still around him now, and he couldn’t stop it. He’d thought about it as he sat on the railing.

Those hyenas of hers had begun to growl from behind the grass and he could tell they remembered him from the last time. There was a sudden rush of air as the doors opened. Harley rubbed at her eyes sleepily as she stepped out in her red and black dressing gown with the imprinted diamond pattern. “Batman?” she asked, her voice croaking. “Is that you? What are you doin’ here?”

His cape lapped at the metal railing of her balcony as she stepped out to the sound of growls behind her. “Bud. Lou. Stay.” Both of the thin, furry hyenas stopped and jumped onto her bed.

“You got a job,” said Batman.

“I did,” she said as she beamed with her hands behind her back. “I told you I would.”

“You made the choice. I’m proud of you.”

“Are ya here to look for him?”

“No,” he replied. “I’m not here for him. He’s gone. I don’t know where.”

“Is everything okay?”

“Do you remember what I said before about Batman not being needed—“

“About not bein’ needed in Gotham? I remember,” she said as she ran a hand through her hair. “Why?”

He couldn’t stop running his mouth. “How many of these super-criminals do you think are left?”

“In Gotham?” She rocked on the balls of her feet and sucked in fresh air. “Barely any. I dunno, Bats. They’re all locked up in Arkham. Why’d you ask me?”

He looked down. “Maybe saying it out loud to you that night in the vault gave me a push, but I didn’t think it was so close. I knew things were coming, but now they’re almost at the door. I’m more of a symbol than anything else at this point. I’m winning.”

“That’s what you wanted?” she asked as she reached into her pocket for a cigarette. She leaned against the railing. “You’ve done all you needed to do. Maybe it’s time for somethin’ new, y’know? If I can do it, you could too,” she said with a smile before it slid off her face. “You helped me and I’m doin’ my best. It’s hard but it feels different this time.”

“You helped me too. Must have been the psychiatrist in you,” he said with a smile.

“You’re hilarious but I’m done with funny men,” she said as she lit up the cigarette. “I didn’t lie to you.”

“I know you didn’t. I wasn’t sure why I wanted to come. Truth be told there’s not many people I have left to talk to. I don’t think I should even be here talking to you.”

“You’re the brooding detective. You’re smarter than me, Bats. Although this is pretty strange,” she said with a small laugh. She sucked on her cigarette and he watched her as she blew out a ring of smoke. “I never expected for us ta become friends.”

“We’re friends?”

“Get off my balcony if you don’t wanna be. I’m sure Scarecrow could charge ya for sessions.”

“I’m okay with friends. How is your job? How’s everything since then?”

“I’m not used to the loneliness yet. It was always me and Mist—him. Work is tough. Paulie’s Diner isn’t the pinnacle of what I’d say is great work but it’s a start, y’know? Long hours. You should come in sometime.”

“I already have,” he said.

“What? No way.”

“Yes way.”

He looked out again and he felt her staring at him. Her hand slid to his shoulder. “What is it, Bats?”

“I don’t know. It’s all I’ve known for so long. I guess I’m having trouble with seeing the end. I can’t see between Batman and B—“

“What was that?” she asked as she pulled his face towards her. “You were gonna tell me who you really are, weren’t ya, B-Man?”

He didn’t know what to say. He looked back out at Gotham. “No. Maybe this is because I’m starting to get into new territory. I guess I’ve got to come to terms with things.”

“We’re both on uneven ground,” said Harley as she inhaled her cigarette again. “There’s still parts of the old me in here,” she said as she tapped her chest. “But you help me keep that in check.”

“I do?”

“You gave me that chance to change. I don’t wanna let you down, B-Man. I’m really trying to do things differently. Not for him. But for—for myself and for you. I guess when it comes down to it, we can make little changes slowly.”

He smiled again. “Little changes. This is definitely a big change. I feel better after talking to you—same as that night in the vault. It shouldn’t but it does. I don’t know why.”

He felt her lean into him a little. “You keep showin’ up on my balcony I might have to charge ya for therapy sessions.”

“I’m good for the money.”

She leaned in and kissed him on his cheek. Her lips felt soft against the rough stubble of his beard. He looked at her as she walked back to the glass doors and inside. “It’s dangerous for us to talk like this, Bats. We really are worlds apart. Always was. If he did show up, we’d both be in trouble and he’d kill me. Not like he cared about me anyway but he’s crazy,” she said with sadness in her voice.

Batman nodded. “I know.”

She turned to face Lou and Bud who had gotten themselves comfortable on her bed. “But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to talk—“ She looked back to the balcony that was now empty. In the distance was the sound of sirens. She got back into bed and smiled to herself. Lou looked up at her with his grin. “What’s so funny, huh?” she asked before she rolled over, still smiling to herself, she put her fingers to her lips and gently ran her finger across them before closing her eyes, and drifting off with the smile still firmly on her face.