Chapter One

The boy lived with grandma Hill since his parents were murdered when he was 6. Every night, grandma told him stories about her sister, a girl with fire on her fingertips. 

"Why did your father tie her up?" he asked. 

"Because villagers believed that she was a devil," grandma Hill answered. 

"Is she really a devil?" 

"Of course not, John, she's just different. And she was a good sister, a very peculiar one." Grandma Hill replied.

Jonathan Hill didn't know when he stopped believing his grandma's story, he only knew that he stopped clinging to the fairy tales as he grew older. He thought the world was normal and ordinary, and it would always stay that way. 

Two years after his parents' death, however, everything changed. Strange people with monsters start to attack them. They burned down buildings, and slaughtered people. They do it as if they were driven by some kind of hatred, a hatred towards normal people.

He hid in basement, trembling while their house was invaded. An hour later, when all the noise were gone, John climbed out of the basement and found his grandma bleeding to her death. With her last bit of strength, she told him to run away and never come back. And then, she was gone.

*

John had been hiding from monsters for five years. 

Those creatures that were after him seemed to be born from children's nightmares. They were unnaturally tall, spectral figures with a rotten face and a powerful jaw, a pack of squirming tentacles lurked inside their mouths and could whip out in an instant and end one's life. 

He had nightmares every night, while the world around him wasn't any bit better than it.

John stood and pick up the doll beside him. He found Penny in a mountain of garbage and took it because the doll seemed to be calling him. In spite of the fact that the doll's mouth seemed to have been damaged, it kept whispering to John. Having no idea what to do, John left the doll to his ear, waiting for advise. 

One minute later, he put the doll back to his bag, and stepped on the path that led to outside the town.

*

A woman was sweeping the floor in Abe's house. Doing cleaning chores somehow made her felt like ten years ago when she first arrived at this house. 

2012, such a difficult but joyful year, it was in that year everything changed. In that year, she learned about Abe's death and got to knew he's grandson, Jacob. It was in that year, the wights kidnapped Miss Peregrine and led to the the adventures she had been through with her friends, the friends that no longer remained. In that same year, they temporary defeated Caul only to allow him came back with the power of the ancient Souls. 

That year, Miss Peregrine and her friends, the only few people who ever really loved her, were taken away from her.

Sometimes, when she tried to tidy up this abandoned house, she saw her friends working around her, just like how they cleaned up this place together, ten years ago.

She lived inside Abe's secret chamber now. To her, it was the only place safe enough to live on this planet. 

At night, she sometimes sat on porch staring at the night sky. Tonight's sky was like a piece of dark cloth decorated with stars. Some were borning, some were breathing, some were pulsing, and others were dying. These ancient points of light marked every single moment of this universe. "Stars, too, were time travelers," Jacob told her when they decided to leave Cairnholm and go on a mission to save Miss Peregrine, ten years ago. 

She missed every moment spent with him. 

Realizing she was lost in memories again, she sighed. "I'm so tired of this," she thought. "So bloody tired." 

"Me too," a voice inside her head replied, so distant, so far away from her. "It seems our trials will never end." "They will," said another voice. "For good or ill, in victory or death . . . soon enough, they will."

But the trials did not end, not to her.