Chapter Three

Isabelle Llywelyn sit in a SUV, white eyes scanning the surroundings when a man in a P.S.B.(Peculiar Security Bureau) uniform walked toward her. "Did you find the doll?" she asked. 

"It's gone. The boy escaped."

Isabelle spent a second to restrain her anger. "Shut down every port and highway. He must not leave Ireland."

"Yes, madam."

"Find that doll, kill that boy." She stared at him, "You know what defeat would bring."

*

Blanche was wandering in Chalatine Harbor, a place too smell to be on any map, or be noticed by wights. It was the last remaining shelter for peculiars who refused to live under wights' dominion in Europe.

She passed houses and shops while winds blew over her dark hair. There was a mingled odour of oil and salt in the air stimulating her olfactory nerves. She looked up and saw bulky shapes of freighters and tankers silhouetted against the evening sky. This place was always so quiet, unlike any other port towns.

A boy with sandy hair and a pair of green eyes, looked not much older than Blanche, walked toward her.

"Excuse me, where can I buy a ferry ticket to America?"

"This is not a ferry harbor, we only transport cargoes here." Than she thought for a moment and said, "But if you agree to work onboard without payment, maybe Captain Murphy will agree to smuggle you across the Atlantic." Blanche saw the boy's face brightened. 

"Where can I find him?"

Blanche led John to Captain Murphy, and the captain agreed to let him work on The White Portuguese, which would leave for America tomorrow noon.

After everything was arranged, John found a hotel to stay. Everything is going to be fine, he told himself.

In the jungle near the port town, a pair of eyes watched the boy walking into a building.

*

A loud alarm woke up everyone in Chalatine.

Guards hurried to their position. A senior in a black suit walked toward the troops led by Isabelle Llywelyn.

"A wanted criminal came to your town this evening, Officer Wilson," Isabelle said first.

"I'm not informed about this, agent." The man replied in a steady voice.

"He's a boy, about thirteen years old, carrying a doll. You have two hours to find him."

Officer Wilson protested, trying not to lose his temper, "We had an agreement, you are not suppose to—"

"I'm altering the deal. Pray to Caul I don't change it any further." Than she paused a second, staring at the port officer, "Bring me the boy before dawn, or we will take this place by force."

*

John saw the wights' army gathering outside the town. He had to find a way out before anyone noticed him.

A bell rang, and everyone in Chalatine rushed out of their houses. While John was struggling to make his way out of the crowd, a girl caught him by the arm. "Where are you going?" asked Blanche. "The meeting room is that way."

"I have to get out of here before it's too late—"

"You're not going anywhere. No one can leave before the committee decides what we do next." Before John could reply, she dragged him into a tanker, and everything went dark.

John felt himself being pulled through by a bodiless force. For a full second, he felt weightless.

Then he found himself inside a giant tank. A long table was placed in the middle of the room. Chairs were set casually around the table. The room was filled with people, exchanging opinions or yelling at each other. Finally, a man in black suit thundered "QUIET!" and the noise faded.

"I am Port Officer Martin Wilson. Less than one hour ago, a wight from P.S.B. led her soldiers to our town. They are looking for a boy with a doll, and they will destroy our home town if they have to. But—" Chaos started spreading in the crowd. "Where is the boy?" "Just hand him over to wights!" A boy suddenly grasped John's arm and shouted "He's here!" The condition immediately became even more chaotic. When John was going to fight everyone for a way out, he felt Blanche touched him.

"Calm down," she said.

"Quiet, please!" Mr. Wilson said. "We can not simply hand over this boy. Everything we do to help wights is a betrayal to our own people! And even if we do so, Chalatine is not our shelter anymore. Wights already ignored our agreement, what do you think they will do next?"

"But this boy is a criminal," a man shouted.

"The Peculiar Security Bureau will never go after criminals. They only hunt the peculiars who post threat to their rule."

"If we disobey them, they will kill all of us!" someone shouted.

"They will kill us whenever they want," he shouted back. "I'm not staying here to be an accomplice of wights' crime! We must fight and evacuate this town!"

*

The committee quickly made a evacuation plan. The residents hurried to their houses to take their belongings. Guards backed to their position, watching the wights when other people loaded their boats.

John walked toward Mr. Wilson, "You don't help me just because this place is no longer safe, do you?"

"No, I don't. Mr. Sanders dreamed of you yesterday, he said you will play a very important role in a new era of peculiars."

"How can I possibly be important? I don't have any power. I'm not even a peculiar."

"Only a peculiar can enter loops, kid."

John frowned in confusion, "But I've never been to any loops."

"You are standing inside one," the port officer smiled.

*

"They are loading their boats! They are evacuating!" a scout shouted. Isabelle turned to Lieutenant Harris. "Destroy their ships."

People crowded aboard the The White Portuguese. Captain Murphy had finished the last check on engines. Now the ship was ready to leave at anytime. The captain set in his room, watching the sky, thoughtfully. He saw stars fall from the heaven, their flaming tails lightened the sky. Than a explosion devoured everyone onboard.

Isabelle watched the missiles strike their targets, igniting everything nearby. Than she gave an order, "Attack now."