the past has a way of stalking you

Percy sleeps peacefully.

The sound of shoes squeaking on the floor flows in from the hallway. Low mutters come from a few people seated on hard metal chairs. They're family members and friends of some of the people in the ICU.

A group of doctors and nurses walk past Percy's room. They hesitate briefly at his door. The curtain is pulled back, revealing the large glass doors that all ICU rooms come equipped with so the nurses can keep an eye on their patients.

The doctor in the lead grabs a piece of paper from a folder hanging by the door. She reads over it.

A variety of emotions crosses her face.

She places it back into the slot. She keeps walking at a brisk pace. The doctors follow her.

"So," she begins, "you've done the regular scans?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"With contrast dye?"

"Yes."

"Send the results to my computer. Along with everything else you know about him. He's a high profile patient. We need to give this our all."

"Ah. Yes, ma'am."

"I have an appointment I need to get to, but I'll send Feliciano over to have a look at him in the meantime. She's brilliant."

"Okay."

She checks her watch. "It's lunchtime, and he's sleeping, so contact the rheumatology department a couple hours after lunch for Feliciano or I."

"Got it."

She nods, a polite smile on her face, and steps into the elevator. She hits the button for floor nine.

The elevator doors shut and the group stares at her retreating figure.

"Alright!" A man in nurse scrubs claps his hands. "Well, I'm sure we all have other patients to get to. So we don't need to be waiting on the avengers to visit. And we don't have time to stand around like statues, either. Chop chop, people. Let's get to work."

The group disperses. The man in scrubs sighs. He walks off to another room.

He puts on a smile as he enters. "Good afternoon, Lila! Did you have a good lunch?"

His voice fades the further he gets into the room.

The door shuts behind him.

Percy shifts in his sleep.

The sound of muted beeping comes from the heart monitor. It has a steady rhythm. The blankets tucked around him are harsh but warm.

He has a turquoise pillowcase and a Nemo plushie.

An IV line with clear fluid runs to his hand. They'd tried it with the inside of his elbow first, but he moved around so much in his sleep that they found it's easier to have it in his hand.

The smell of hand sanitizer and disinfectant hangs in the air.

A large man towers over Percy's bed.

The nurses that pass by Percy's room don't bat an eye.

It's as if they can't even see him.

He has a solemn countenance. He wears a black jacket with the hood pulled up over his head.

"I'm sorry." He says softly. His voice is low, like rumbling machinery, but at the same time, very soothing.

He has a voice that would be very easy to fall asleep to.