Chapter 3: The Proposal

Katara sat with her mouth agape, dumbfounded at what she'd just heard. Her father, brother, and many others held similar stupefied expressions. Others throughout the room made bewildered comments.

"What is the Fire Lord thinking?"

"He can't be serious."

Another Elder voiced a question, probably one silently asked by many.

"Master Katara is not a royal emissary as you seem to perceive her," he said condescendingly. "How does the Fire Lord expect a union with her to carry the weight and authority he requires? Would His Highness not be better off seeking the hand of a true princess from the Northern Tribe or the daughter of some Earth Kingdom nobleman?"

Many muttered in agreement. It honestly hurt Katara's pride a little to see the Council so immediately dismiss her as a reputable choice, not that she was at all eager to enter into a politically arranged marriage.

Iroh responded fearlessly - commanding the room. "True, but she is one of the Young Heroes who brought the War to an end, as well as the daughter of your reformed Tribe's first High Chief, a war hero in his own right. I believe there is no better choice for the Fire Lord's bride-to-be than the comrade who stood at the then-Prince Zuko's side when he dueled his sister for the throne or the master waterbender who helped rebuild the beautiful Water Tribe city that His Majesty's ancestors once destroyed. What union across the nations could possibly exude more forgiveness, unity, and strength?"

The entire Council was still as the General's powerful words echoed through the Great Hall.

Hakoda was the first to break the silence, having finally collected himself from the surprise. His voice was serious and protective. "Unfortunately, I am unable to accept the Fire Lord's... interesting... proposal on Katara's behalf. Let me, once again, emphasize that my daughter is not a "princess" in the pretense of royal lineage and has no obligation to accept this proposal at my behest, nor will I allow her to be pressured by anyone - within the Tribe or without - to become subject to such an arrangement."

His eyes met Katara's, who had scarcely managed to breathe. His words fell to a more gentle and caring tone. He addressed General Iroh, but his blue eyes never left his daughter. His words were truly for her. "But if she chooses to accept of her own volition, let me say that I fully approve."

Katara felt her cheeks grow hot as Hakoda gave her a mischievous wink. Her head hung in embarrassment as she looked around through her peripherals, blatantly aware that all eyes in the Great Hall were now on her. She raised her head and attempted to speak, but no words came. She had no idea what to say.

Iroh jumped in again, tactfully saving her for at least a moment. "If I may, in honor of this proposal," the old General said, drawing the Council's attention. "The Fire Lord wishes to present a gift to Lady Katara in accordance with the customs of the Water Tribes."

Curious murmurs again scattered through the room as Zuko finally stood from his place. A member of the Royal Guard stepped forward from his post near the far wall. He held an elegantly crafted red wood box with dragon-shaped gold accents. Zuko took the box from the guard and stepped forward to the base of the stairs leading up to the Council's seats.

The Fire Lord's fiery golden eyes met Katara's deep blue ones. He motioned for her to join him where he stood. Katara was still awe-struck and couldn't bring herself to move. Her eyes instinctively wandered to her brother, who had always been her greatest support and most trusted confidant. Sokka said nothing. He simply smiled and nodded encouragingly for her to go.

Hesitant and wary, Katara stood from her seat and wove her way through her tribesman to stand before the Fire Lord. She glanced nervously between him and her people gathered there. All eyes were again on her. Zuko presented the box to her. A gentle smile graced his lips. "For you," he said quietly.

Katara took a deep breath and reached forward, undoing the clasp on the front of the beautiful container, and lifted the lid. Her hands instantly lifted to cover her mouth as shock overtook her. Within the box, was the most beautiful betrothal necklace she'd ever seen. Normally carved from turquoise stone, the pendant of the one in the case was made of fine gold, molded into the shape of a fiery sun. The Moon-and-Ocean symbol of her people was engraved into a polished silver coin, set in the middle of the sun, resembling a solar eclipse.

The satin ribbon on which the pendant hung was red on the top half and blue on the bottom, separated by a thin strip of violet in an ocean wave pattern.

Oohs and aahs filled the chamber as many in the audience stood to peek at what lay in the box. Excited whispers soon followed. Even Hakoda was taken aback by the extravagant offering.

Katara herself couldn't believe her eyes. Her preexisting shock now coupled with a mix of ecstasy and confusion. Is this really happening? The question kept repeating over and over in her mind.

Why would Zuko choose her of all people? They were just friends, right? Then again, how was she to know? Her only real experience of romance had been with the Avatar. Aang's boundless need for adventure had led them to travel the world for six months after the War.

That six months alone together had caused her to realize that she'd only been able to bear the past year of travels because her brother Sokka had been there with her, giving her a sense of grounding - a sense of home. She'd tried to talk to Aang about it - settling down and making a home, but the airbender had always brushed it off. It was always on to the next adventure. She'd ended up feeling more like she was just raising the younger boy, rather than growing together as an equal partner with him.

Only one person had ever given her that sense of respect and understanding that she was denied in her relationship with Aang. It was Zuko. Even as enemies, they had a mutual understanding for each other early on, especially in their respective heartache.

She couldn't help returning to the crystal caverns of Old Ba Sing Se. There, she'd gotten her first real look at his new, gentler disposition. There, they'd opened their hearts to each other for the first time. There, she'd wanted so desperately to reach out to him, to relieve him of his torment - a torment much like the one in her own heart.

She'd failed that time. They'd been interrupted, and Katara could never help but wonder how things would have been different if Aang and Iroh hadn't shown up when they did. She would never really know, but now she had another chance. A chance to reach out. A chance to help him in a way that only she could.

Zuko gently took her hand, drawing her out of her thoughts. He looked at her with kindness and understanding in his eyes. "You don't need to answer right now," he said quietly. "But I do want you to know how much this truly means to me."

Katara was still at a loss for words but managed to meet her friend's gaze. A small smile crossed her lips as she took the elegant box from him. She forced her nerves to settle and mustered all the courtly dignity she could. "I understand," she finally said with a graceful curtsy. "Thank you, Your Highness. It's beautiful."

Zuko gave a short bow in response before returning to his seat next to Iroh. It took everything in Katara's power to maintain her composure as she faced the rest of the people gathered. She put on a bright smile as she tilted the box for all to see its contents. The unique beauty of the necklace was met with more exclamations of awe and applause.

The meeting was soon adjourned after she returned to her own seat, and Katara wasted no time to escape the Great Hall and make her way home, still cradling the priceless case in her arms. She'd barely made it to her room and closed the door before every emotion she'd held back broke through and overwhelmed her.

She cried herself to sleep that night, her cheeks soaked in tears of joy and sadness, ecstasy and confusion, bliss and burden. What did any of this mean? Was this personal or strictly political? Should she accept to support her friend? Her people? The world? Should she accept because she wanted to? Do I even want to?

Such questions and emotions continued to batter her heart and mind, even as she drifted into weary darkness.