Chapter 5: Promises

Fire Lord Zuko stood on the front steps of the Great Hall. The afternoon sun cast its warmth over his countenance. What seemed like the entire population of the Southern Water Tribe filled the courtyard before him, along with his delegates from the Fire Nation. Excitement and anticipation was palpable in the air, including in Zuko himself. An announcement was about to be made. 

Chief Hakoda appeared from within the Great Hall and descended the massive staircase to join Zuko halfway down. The Chief and Fire Lord bowed respectfully to each other before gripping each other's forearms, a symbol of their camaraderie and friendship. 

The two then turned to face the gathered audience with dignified but bright smiles. 

Hakoda stretched his arms out wide as he addressed the crowd. "Today, we give thanks to our guardian spirits, the Moon and the Ocean!" His voice rang through the air. "Today, we celebrate our hard fought peace!"

Cheers and joyous shouts erupted from the crowd. The noise was deafening, but the air itself seemed to warm with the happiness and bliss that came with it. Hakoda eventually waved his hands to calm the rowdy audience, which soon complied. 

He continued solemnly, "Let us never forget what our Tribe has experienced and lost over the past century of war and destruction..." he paused. "Or how, from the ashes, we have again risen - stronger than ever!"

Cheers again broke out, but not so loud that he could not be heard. "This day marks an even brighter future for the Southern Water Tribe!" He placed a warm hand on Zuko's shoulder. "Fire Lord Zuko has requested the hand of my only daughter, Master Katara, in marriage!" More cheers and exclamations of awe came in response. 

Hakoda's grin seemed as bright as the Sun itself. "And I am proud to announce that she has accepted!"

The crowd exploded in joyous celebration as Hakoda turned his eyes to the doors of the Great Hall behind them. Zuko watched as, on cue, the doors opened, and Katara stepped into the sunlight. Her bright blue dress sparkled with glints of silver, and the white fur parka outlined her features beautifully. 

Zuko was frozen stiff at the sight of her. Up until then, he'd been calm, cool, and collected. Now, in the presence of such radiance, he felt like a frightened child.

Katara slowly descended the stairs, a sweet smile gracing her lips. The crowd continued to cheer loudly in response. Katara soon reached the step where Zuko and Hakoda stood. She and Zuko respectfully bowed to each other as Hakoda stepped aside. The two then turned to wave warmly to the people. Zuko couldn't believe how incredible she looked. His eyes never left her. 

Two handmaids came forward, one holding the priceless red and gold box. She bowed her head reverently as she extended the case to the Fire Lord. Zuko opened the box and slowly withdrew the treasure inside. He turned and held the betrothal necklace high for all to see. The light of the sun made it shine brilliantly. Cheers and awe-struck cries were heard. He and Katara faced each other again.

Zuko noticed how her eyes seemed to hesitate as they fell upon the necklace he held. Her hand reached up to touch the one that already graced her neck. He knew her mother's pendant meant a lot to her. His bittersweet smile reflected hers as Hakoda stepped forward from behind Katara and removed the necklace. Zuko didn't catch what Hakoda whispered in Katara's ear, but it seemed to calm her nerves. Her smile widened as her eyes met Zuko's again, calm and fearless. 

Zuko held the necklace out to her eagerly, and Katara turned her back to him and pulled her neatly styled hair to the side. Zuko couldn't help but tremble a bit as he draped the satin ribbon evenly across her throat. The gold and silver pendant nestled into the curve of her neck as he carefully tied the knot at the back.

The two faced each other again, and Zuko observed her closely. He smiled in awe of her. The necklace was truly beautiful on her. She was truly beautiful. 

Their eyes met and, for a moment, he thought he might drown in the deep ocean-blue of her gaze.

Little did he know, Katara felt the same. She was nervous, yes. Who could say what the future she'd chosen really held, but her father's words stayed with her. "Your mother and I will always be with you, whether you need us or not. I know she's proud of the woman you've become."

Not wearing her mother's necklace indeed felt like letting go. She'd relied on its comfort for so long, but she didn't feel alone without it anymore. The new weight on her neck symbolized her choice to find her own way and forge her own path...

With Zuko.

Her eyes lifted to meet his. His eyes shined like gold with bits of amber in the bright afternoon sun - like warm, liquid honey. His gaze enveloped her in its warmth and sweetness. The pendant on her neck seemed to heat up in response. Its warmth calmed her, assuring her that everything would be alright.

A silent conversation passed between them - their hearts opening and communicating through their eyes.

I'll stand by you.

I'll support you.

I'll share your pain.

I'll share your fears.

I'll lift your burden.

I'll dry your tears.

With me, you'll never be alone.