Chapter 8: The Princess

Katara slowly turned, fighting hard to keep her breathing steady. Her deep-blue eyes met a set of burnt-yellow ones, a much duller shade than Zuko's. A sly smirk pulled at her full red lips as Azula examined her brother's fiancée, strategically measuring her up from her place at the top of the stairs. 

Katara couldn't help tensing a bit under Azula's gaze. As subtle as the response was, though, it did not escape the sharp eyes of the Fire Nation Princess. A short, amused cackle escaped Azula's mouth. "Oh relax," she said as she began to saunter confidently down the steps. "I'm not going to attack you."

Katara wasn't exactly reassured by Azula's words, but she forced herself to relax anyways. She hadn't come all this way for a fight.

"Hello Princess," she said as pleasantly as she could manage. "You look well."

She observed Azula's casual attire - a sleeveless red top with a plain short skirt. Her long, shiny black hair was lazily pulled into a bun, and she strode barefoot - hardly the image of an ambitious and deadly firebending prodigy, but Katara knew better.

Azula, in turn, took in Katara's fire nation robes. "As do you," she said in an icy tone. "Fire Nation royalty suits you... for a peasant."

The words stung a little, but Katara didn't waver. She held Azula's gaze and continued smiling. "Thank you," she replied.

The two stood silently for a moment. The tension was nearly palpable.

Just then, Ursa entered the room again. "Azula," she said in relief. "There you are."

"Welcome back Mother," she responded flatly, her eyes still locked with Katara's.

Ursa's sharp eyes quickly caught on to what was happening. "I hope you're not troubling Katara," she said firmly. "She is your future sister-in-law, as well as the future Fire Lady. Show her the proper respect."

Azula's sly smile fell into a frown, and she sighed stubbornly. "Fine," she muttered. She bowed deeply - to Katara's absolute surprise. "My apologies, Lady Katara," she said. "Please excuse my rudeness."

Katara was baffled by the gesture, unsure of how to react. Ursa stood by, smiling in satisfaction. The two looked at each other briefly. Ursa simply gestured with her head, and Katara returned her attention back to Azula, who still maintained her low bow.

Katara hesitated. "Um... no offense taken," she managed to say.

Azula finally stood straight. Her eyes held no remorse or kindness, but Katara no longer sensed any confrontation from her. 

Katara was taken aback at the change. Azula suddenly seemed like a completely different person. Katara was still in shock when Azula spoke again. "The servants should have taken your luggage to the guest suite by now," she said nonchalantly. "I'll show you there, so you can get settled. You must be exhausted from your journey."

Azula didn't wait for Katara's response before turning and heading back up the staircase. Katara turned her gaze back to Ursa questioningly, who only nodded encouragingly in response.

Katara's hesitant steps carried her up the stairs after Azula and down the dimly lit hallway. Only a few skylight windows illuminated their path. Azula never turned around, arrogantly sure that Katara would be right behind her. She casually gestured to a door on the right as she passed. "This is my room," she said. 

Katara made a mental note to never open that door.

The two passed by another door on the left, which Azula indicated was a second guest suite and typically went unused. They reached the end of the hall where two doors stood opposite one another.