04. questioning

***

***

WILL BYERS' death was all the local news could talk about. Quinn felt sick to her stomach the next morning, standing behind the couch in the living room, her mother sitting on the cushions, hand to her mouth.

"Oh, God. Poor Joyce."

It was all anyone could seem to say. Dustin's house was lifeless from down the street when her and Jordan exited through their front door. Her brother was scary quiet on their way to school. Even the radio was shut off.

"Turn there."

"What? Why?"

"Shouldn't we check on Lucas?"

Jordan stayed put at the stop sign, then sighed. "We should just get to school."

"Wow," Quinn said, dumbfounded. "I never thought I'd hear you say those words."

"Funny."

"Look, I have a free period for first today. Just drop me off, and I'll walk after I check on him. Okay?"

Jordan was reluctant. "I don't know. Do you really want to walk? Just check on him after school. You said Barbra's missing too, didn't you? I don't think you should."

"I'll be fine, Jordan," she insisted. "Just let me talk to him. He's our cousin."

"Fine."

The Sinclair house was carless, which meant her aunt and uncle weren't present. Quinn shot her brother one last lingering look, before walking up the lawn. She found the spare key buried in a flower pot, and dusted it off. She'd been doing it for years, more so when she was younger. Sneaking Lucas out to play tag in the woods, or to run down the street and get ice cream on a hot summer day.

Weirdly enough, Hawkins didn't feel safe enough to do that anymore. She'd grown out of that phase a long time ago, anyway, but the thought struck her suddenly.

Quinn closed the door tightly behind her, and moved near the steps. "Lucas? Are you home? It's Quinn."

A moment later, his footsteps sounded from the second floor, and he appeared before her. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to make sure... I wanted to see how you were doing. After everything."

"Do you have your license yet?" Lucas asked, changing the topic.

"No," Quinn replied, a little wearily. "Just my permit. "Why?"

"Mike says he has something about Will. And that me and Dustin need to get to his house right now. Shouldn't you be at school?"

Quinn glanced at the watch on her wrist. "Not until 9:15. Come on, I'll go with you."

She hadn't been to the Wheelers in a long time. But the house hadn't changed one bit since she'd been in it last. They entered through the basement doors, and Mike shot up to his feet.