2

Even after everything became ashes, the flames didn’t go out.

It burned like an eternity.

I wondered if this was hell.

In the burning pain, the unfortunate past roared in flames.

The sorrow and loneliness of childhood, the pain and frustration of growing up… Which of these could have been my fault?

I regretted that I died without knowing where and how it went wrong.

The second memory of the pendant flashed over the flames. The night when the Merdy Castle was on fire.

Dehan kidnapped me that day, so it must have been his plan to set the castle on fire.

It wasn’t Halias.

But what could Dehan do?

Every time I questioned my past life, my memory was erased. But Merdy’s flame wasn’t something anyone could handle.

…if it weren’t for the flame user, they would need a very powerful sorcerer.

But Bahel Saha couldn’t handle the flames.

Was there anyone else?

The sorcerer who came one day and awakened my flames?

Could he handle the flames?

I had a sharp headache all of a sudden.

Some of my lost memories were found. But it was a mess because it’s mixed with the experiences of my past life.

No matter how many times I wandered through the web of memories, the answer didn’t come close.

As I wandered for so long, I heard a voice.

My last daughter.

I opened my eyes, but all I could see was a fire.

Does the flame speak?

There’s a famous story in the founding mythology of this country.

Prabash, the fire spirit, was said to be the first ancestor of the Merdy family. So, when the Merdy’s users called for a big fire, they used to borrow Prabash’s name…

Was that really real?

Without hesitation, the voice asked.

Do you think it’s unfair?

I didn’t care if he’s my ancestor or not. Even if it was a hallucination, I wanted to answer.

“It’s unfair! I was only three years old when I met the Oblivionist!”

Then the voice asked again.

Would you like to try it again?

What do you mean ‘again’? Don’t tell me, do you mean I can come back to life?

I was afraid that I would miss the opportunity if I hesitated, so I responded urgently.

“I’ll do it again! I’ll do it again! Over and over again…!”

The answer didn’t return for a long time, and the flames hadn’t died down.

But I didn’t give up.

Until the time came, the memories that came back with smoke were engraved one by one.

I am Liana Le Merdy.

I am the last remaining flame user in the kingdom of Zantar who served the god of fire.

Merdy’s flame is only Merdy’s.