x. punishment

ROMEO SAT ON TOP OF THE SCHOOL BUS, UNMOVING , STARING BLANKLY INTO THE FOREST

ROMEO SAT ON TOP OF THE SCHOOL BUS, UNMOVING , STARING BLANKLY INTO THE FOREST. More specifically, staring at the same spot where he saw the monster. A monster that turned into the same blond man he keeps seeing. Steve gave up on trying to get him to help set up, realizing that it was all a waste of time and that Romeo's mind wasn't currently present.

Once the sun set and Romeo couldn't see clearly anymore since it became too dark, he finally climbed down the ladder and back into the bus. He sat down on the ground beside Steve, leaning his head on said boy's shoulder.

"So..." Max began, looking at the two older boys with disbelief. "You really fought one of these before?" Steve nodded as Romeo didn't even bother answering. "And you're like, totally sure it wasn't a bear?"

Dustin cut in, "Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay? It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us?" Max stared at him in shock. "Just go home."

The red head scoffed, getting to her feet and walking over to the ladder. "Geez. Someone's cranky. Past your bed time?" With that, she climbed the ladder, going to join Lucas on the roof and leaving Dustin with the four older teens.

"Damn.. harsh, kid." Riley said, staring at the boy who's usually very sweet with wide eyes.

"That's good," Steve nodded enthusiastically, beginning to play with his lighter. "Just show her you don't care."

Romeo sat up, removing his head from Steve's shoulder to stare at him with a blank look.

"I don't." Dustin snapped, crossing his arms. "Why are you winking, Steve? Stop."

"You're an idiot, Steve Harrington." Romeo said, voice hoarse from hours of staring into space in silence.

Steve froze for a moment, his mind going back to when Nancy said the same thing to him. He could feel his heart ache as he thought of the girl, but he quickly shook his head, snapping out of it. "Back at you, Wheeler."

━━

  "YOU SEE HIM?" DUSTIN ASKED, crouching down beside Steve as the two stared out the bus windows. The sound of a loud growl filled the air, causing them all to jump.

  Steve sighed, "No."

  Dustin held the radio up to his mouth, "Lucas, what's going on?"

  "Hold on!" Lucas' voice echoed around the bus. "I've got eyes! Ten o'clock! Ten-ten o'clock!"

  Romeo moved to join the two at the window, looking in the complete opposite direction.

  Steve placed a hand on his head, turning him to face the right way. "There."

  "What's he doing?" Dustin asked, watching as who they assume is Dart, stood still.

  "I don't know. He's not taking the bait." Steve began to panic, "Why is he not taking the bait?"