3. Slime and lavender tea

A few days later
It was pitch black in the Hogwarts corridors at night. Four boys under one invisibility cloak in the dark stumbling from the Gryffindor tower, one of the highest in the castle, to the Slytherin Dungeons on the bottom floor of the castle was a hard task.

Finally reaching the Slytherin portrait and saying their password 'pureblood' and quietly entering through the hole and into the common room.
Quickly casting the sliming charm and getting out before they would become covered.
"This is going to be fucking amazing!" Sirius whispers as the boys make their way to the great hall to coat their goblets in a thin layer of polyjuice to have them turn into various professors.

After successfully completing their mission of over the Slytherins in the morning, on the way back to the tower. That's when they heard the dreaded noise. The meow of Mrs Norris.
"Oh fuck, run!" Peter says as filch stated to hobble after them.

The boys split up, Sirius took the stairs to go straight up to the Gryffindor common room, Remus went up to the Ravenclaw tower to go the long way around back, Peter ran back down to the dungeons to come back up. James took the Hufflepuff route. Unfortunately, Filch had decided to follow James. Quickly running through the Hufflepuff corridors, sliding around the corner, a particular painting caught his eye. The fruit bowl. He tickled the pear and pulled the painting open frantically and shimmied through the hole and into the Hogwarts kitchens.

-

Kate had successfully avoided seeing Lily and Amos together throughout the first week of school. Finding excuses to leave whenever he was around, needing the toilet, forgetting a book, leaving her tie.

But that came to a halt when Amos came up to the group of girls in the library and draped his arms around her shoulders lovingly and kissed her on the crown of her head. It felt like a big slap in the face. The only thing that was on her side was that it was the end of the day and curfew was almost upon them and Kate could make the excuse of curfew to run away.

After convincing the girls that they should probably head back up to the dorms as it was almost 10:30. They finally made the walk back up to their dorm and changed into their night clothes. Kate opted for a flowy nightdress and sat down trying to drown out Lily talking about Amos. Kate was happy for her, truly. It was difficult though, trying to hide how she felt about Amos and what happens between them.

Lily, Alice, Marlene and Dorcas had finally fallen into a slumber. Kate had now slid on her slippers and snuck out of the dorm and extremely quietly made her way out of the common room and through the dark corridors she knew like the back of her hand, having made this trip to the kitchen many, many times throughout her six previous years in the castle.

Kate had made it to the fruit bowl painting and tickled the pear, therefore letting the frame swing open the the entrance to her solitude, the kitchen. The elf's knew her so they tended to leave her be unless she asked for something to be specifically made. She decided to find comfort in a mug of lavender tea. Sitting on the small table, and placing the mug down.

Finally, Kate had allowed herself to cry over the Amos/Lily situation. The tears welled in her eyes and toppled over and streamed down her cheeks.
Ultimately, crying was just what Kate needed to express the feelings that she had been holding in for a week. As not being able to seek comfort from her friends, the emotions bubbled up and had certainly spilled over.

-
"Are you ok?" A voice comes from the opening of the painting.
Kate quickly wipes the tears away and whips her head towards the entrance to see James Potter.
"How come you're here?" Kate asked keeping her head down.
"Filch, are you ok?" He repeated.
"What do you think? I'm crying in the kitchen in the middle of the night." Kate said sarcastically as James sat down on the seat opposite her.
"Nice duck slippers, by the way, very stylish." James smiles.
Kate let's out a giggle. "It doesn't matter why I was crying."
"It does matter, how come?" James reassured.
"If I tell you you have to promise not to tell anyone." In honesty Kate just wanted to get it off of her chest.
"You'll just owe me a favour." He said sarcastically.

"I was dating Amos in the summer, he wanted to keep it a secret, Lily doesn't know. And now she keeps bringing him around and talking about him, it's not her fault. But it's still hard to see." Kate explained.
"You and Amos Diggory?"
"Yea, I thought he was nice, I was wrong." Kate said. "That's why I was crying."
"Asshole." James stated.
Kate gave him a small smile. "Do you want a cup of lavender tea?"
"Yea, sure why not." James said.

Kate got up and walked over and stared to make James a cup of lavender tea.
"Why are you down here in the middle of the night?" Kate asked. "Milk and sugar?"
James nodded.
"Now it's your turn to keep a secret." He said with a smirk as Kate brought him his cup of tea and sat back down in her seat.
"Setting up a prank on the Slytherins for tomorrow morning." James looked smug.
"What is it?"
"Well now that would be telling you too much."
"What! Cmon you've got to tell me, I told you one of my biggest secrets ever!" Kate argued.
"Ok, ok, we've put slime in their common room and laced their morning goblets with polyjuice potion." James admitted.
"Merlin, really?" Kate said, shocked. "I've always wanted to be in on one of your pranks, but like not involved. And now I am."
"Glad to make that come true." James takes a sip of his tea. "This is actually quite nice."
"I can cross it off my bucket list." Kate says while drawing a line in the air.

The two Gryffindors finish their cups of tea and decide to head back up to their common room.
"Those really are great slippers." James said.
"They're from a muggle store." Kate replied.
They start to make the walk back up to the common room, being quiet as to not disturb the portraits and to not be caught by Filch.

Kate and James reach the common room and James says the password and lets Kate in first.
"Thank you, very gentlemanly." Kate said and entered the portrait hole.
It was clear that Sirius, Remus and Peter had made their way up to their room to wait for James.
"Goodnight James, and thanks for making me feel better." Kate said.
"No problem, see you around." James bode her goodnight and then they both made their way up their dormitory staircases.

-

"Prongs, where the fuck have you been?" Sirius said as James came through the door.
"Filch followed me, I got stuck in a passageway."James explained to the group.
"We should probably sleep more so we can be up to watch the chaos happen tomorrow." Remus suggested.
The boys agreed and went to sleep, ready for the fun that would take place in the coming morning.

Kate got into bed without any problems. The girls slept like rocks so she didn't have to face any questions, of why she was out of bed so late.
She couldn't wait to see how the morning planned out, feeling so in on a little secret. In reality it was just a run of the mill marauders prank, but she still felt special.

-

The prank had been successful.
A majority of the Slytherins had turned into the professors. Many Mcgonagalls, Slughorns, Flitwicks, Sprouts and other professors, after already looked thoroughly pissed off from the slime that had already been coated all over their common room.

Kate was in shock. She didn't believe that their prank would have fully worked, it did. She turned around and gave James a smile as he was barrelled over in laughter with the other three boys.

"Detention!" Mcgonagall shouted from the head table.
However that didn't cease their laughter. Still folded over, tears leaking from their eyes as the Slytherins are taken to the hospital wing to get changed back to their original selves.