41

"By the end of the night," I stated to myself as I looked at the clock. Isabella went to bed after she helped me clean up the lab of the mess we made. A sigh played on my lips. I had an hour left before midnight. I guess I had to make a trip over. I wrapped up the new robes tighter around me. "Let's get this over with," muttered out of my lips as I opened a portal. There was only one inn in the village. To my knowledge from the council, this was where he stayed while visiting here. I walked through and pulled on the door of the inn. Leviathan greeted me with a small smile across his face. He was an adorable boy from the village. He smiled sweetly as he waved me over.

"I'm sorry for coming by so late," I murmured as he lit me a candle.

"Not at all Mother Miranda. Do you need to see our check in list for another person for your benevolent healing? We have quite a few that have been needing healing." I slowly shook my head. Recently, the inn had been known as a place I frequented to give people a part of my 'gift' for healing and wellness. It was the main reason this inn had business. That and the vendors of the fall festival that travelled from different villages with fascinating trinkets to sell.

"I'm looking for someone specific tonight." My hands took the candle and enveloped me in a warm glow. A comforting one of an angel. A special request when I needed to persuade someone to join me. It took very little persuasion these days, but it was a nice touch. Leviathan tilted his head to the side as interest sparked in his near black orbs. "I was told you all were housing a Salvatore Moreau." Leviathan's charm melted into a grimace at the name. Surprise filtered on my expression. The boy loved everyone that visited. Even people most hated. "Something wrong with him?"

"He's a pompous swine," Leviathan grumbled as his arms crossed. "He does not deserve your blessing, Mother Miranda." A small, knowing smile crossed my lips.

"Dear boy, sometimes the most deserving of my gift are the ones that hide behind a façade." My hand slid into a pocket of the robe and pulled out a small burlap pouch. "Oh, and Isabella thought you'd like some candies after you've been such a help at the butcher's shop. She loved the cuts you chose a few a days ago." Leviathan's eyes lit up at the sack and grabbed it eagerly.

"You are so generous Mother Miranda!"

"Thank Isabella next time you see her. Not many people are kind to her."

"A shame really. She's such a nice lady."

"She really is," I agreed. My free hand absentmindedly played with the ring around my neck. "The very best." My smile was warm at the thought of her until it turned to the whole reason I was even here. I dropped the ring as I turned back to a colder demeanor. "Now, is Moreau here?" Leviathan quickly slid the candy in his pocked before he pulled out a guest book. After a quick peak, he handed me a master key.

"First room on the left upstairs," he commented matter-of-factly.

"Is he in this late?"

"He came in drunk just a short while ago."

"Do you by chance have a signature of his around? To pay for the room or anything?" Leviathan hummed as his eyes turned to a completely different book. It held different receipts and agreements. After a few flips, he slid a document out of its holder and showed me the signature on the bottom. "Do you think your father would mind if I borrowed it? I'd have it back by the morning."

"Of course not. He's one of your most loyal followers!" I slid the document into my pocket as I nodded.

"Thank you Leviathan."

"Have a good night, Mother Miranda." I hummed a goodnight as I aimed for the nearby stairs. I reached his door and heard the obnoxious snores from where I stood. It made me wince. I felt bad for any of the women he had been with prior.