robins dad

author note:
hey sorry its been a while. for the next chapter or the one after that I haven't decided yet. if any of you have like favourite 80s songs or songs before the eighties you really like just comment on this chapter. its for as I said a chapter thats coming. you don't have to i love loads of 80s songs but I just thought it would be fun to have some of you guys' favourites:) also TW⚠️ there's mention of picking skin in the chapter not for long but still just in case.

robins pov:
y/n offers me the rest of their ice cream after I discovered i like mint choc chip . I ask them if they're sure and they say yeah so I finish it off. then suddenly erica comes through the back doors with steve and dustin.

"ok I'll see you four nerds soon, and remember free ice cream-" erica says being interruped by all four of us in chorus saying "for.life!"

she rolls her eyes exiting scoops. I turn to steve " hey dingus can you drop y/n back to mine i have to do something before I go home?" I ask

"yeah yeah sure of course " steve says as he rushes the last of the customers out the store. " can you lock up for me?" he asks in return

" sure." I say getting up and retrieving the keys for scoops from behind the counter. when I return dustins gone and steve and y/n are just leaving.

" bye rob!" shouts steve " be safe ok!"

y/n turns around and smiles " I'll see you back at your house " they say with a wave. and then they're both gone round the corner.

I lock up scoops and head into starcourt for y/ns birthday present.

y/ns pov:

me and steve reach his car . I get in the passengers side and go to reach into my pocket for a tape only to remember they're all smashed thanks to my mum.

" no tapes today " steve says as he starts the car, he turn looking at me "hey seat belt" he says turning back to face the road

I do my seat belt up and respond " ah no i-i just forgot them at robins house" the mention of them brings back that night making it hard to breathe.

" oh yeah how's staying at robins? you guys seem like really good friends now. I recognise that sweatshirt... isn't that robins?" steve says keeping his eyes on the road

I snap out of my thoughts and look at steve then at my clothes all borrowed from robins closet " its been really nice and yeah robin let me borrow then because I didn't have time to pack any when I left" I say anxiously picking at the skin on my fingers

" why did you leave so fast your making it sound like you were fleeing a murder" steve says with a small laugh

"might as well have been" I mumble under my breath

" when do you think you'll come home? its kinda boring without you there" steve says with a smile but slight concern rises im his voice

"um I i dont know i think im gonna stay at robins for a little longer" I say wincing at the sting of the flesh on my finger.

out of the blue steve pulls over and faces me quickly " did I do something? why did you leave? it it feels like you don't wanna come back" steve says his voice cracking. guilt fills my throat like a rock that won't move. I know both me and steve struggle a lot with a shared fear caused by our parents. the fear of abandonment . our dad is never home hes always on work trips and this and that, mum goes out to see him every like month without warning leaving me and steve for sometimes months with nothing but money for food and bills. no note no nothing. and now I cant shift this ball of guilt in my throat because I know I've made him scared I'm leaving too.