1.4 dialog

"No way" He muttered quietly at first, then "No fucking way!" he yelled. 

Lia broke into a fit of laughter at Chris' outburst. She hunched over, body shaking as she broke into hysterics. Chris clutched at his chest, as he always did, joining her. "Un-fucking-believable." He spoke as his breathing evened out. 

Lia nodded, "Yep, right here. I had to get a new couch and a new mattress!" 

Chris was stunned. It's one thing to cheat on your partner in the home you share, but to be caught red-handing fucking someone else in your living room? Hell. No. He couldn't imagine the pain Malia must have felt. Well, he could to an extent. Chris had been cheated on before, but at least he hadn't caught her in the act. Finding out from a friend felt better than seeing it for yourself. 

"I had half a mind to just move altogether, but I love this place. It's the first home I bought for myself and that just— this place means something to me, something special."

Lia's eyes moved around the house, slowly, deliberately. As if she was assessing all of her possessions for the first time. The large open space with a lovely view into the amazing kitchen. The furniture modern, but not stuffy and uncomfortable. Colorful, vibrant, and lived in. It was Malia's. Her safe space, her haven.

While she took the time to appreciate her surroundings, Chris appreciated his view of her. Her hair, straightened for the time being, was being held back by a large claw clip. A simple look, one meant for this environment. Comfortability looked good on her, considering she was always anxious. 

Chris let his eyes wander over her, analyzing her. She had a hint of a smile on her face still, her eyes bright and full of life. they sat on opposite ends of the couch, but she kept her body turned toward him, one foot on the floor, the other tucked beneath herself. An oversized sweater paired with leggings was her go to when she was home, he remembered from a previous conversation, so her outfit was unsurprising, but she still looked great. She always did. 

"What about you? How messy was your last break up?"   

His last relationship had been with Jenny— well, they were together once before that and had broken up. "I wouldn't necessarily call it messy, but Jenny and I had already broken up once. It was like we forgot why until it happened again. I just realized that I couldn't completely see my future with her; It was too easy to see one without her," He shrugged. 

That much Lia understood. She hadn't thought about it much when she and Carter were still together, but once they weren't she saw how easy it was to see her life without him in it. She hadn't been dating-to-marry really, but she did take the relationship seriously enough. Though now, she just doesn't see why she wasted her time doing so. 

"Do you regret getting back together with her?" She had no clue why she asked that, but Lia was genuinely interested in his answer. 

"No, not entirely. I just wish that it had been worth more than it was. That sounds harsh I guess, but I just feel like I could have learned more from it than I did. I just left knowing that I was still feeling as unfulfilled as I was before."

Her attempt at a response was cut off by Dodger inviting himself onto the couch, plopping down right beside her with his head in her lap. Chris playfully scolded him for his manners and Lia couldn't help but giggle. Phoenix had already curled up near Chris, not bothering to try jumping on the couch alongside Dodger. Lazy ass dog. 

"I love him," Lia cooed, technically talking to Chris, but not even glancing in his direction, "I really do love you Dodge."

Chris let out a chuckle as he gave the dog a few scratches behind his ear. "He clearly loves you too. He's a friendly dog don't get me wrong, but he isn't usually as clingy with other people. Just me usually."

"What can I say? I'm irresistible." 

"I'm glad though, gives me an excuse to come bother you." That was bold, but he couldn't stop himself from saying it. 

Lia assessed him for only a few seconds, but it felt like an entire minute. "You certainly don't need an excuse, I like having you around."

"Careful what you wish for," He teased, "You'll never be able to get rid of me."

Her loud laugh was infectious, just as her smile was. "Oh god, I've awoken the monster." Their laughter continued, irritating Dodger apparently as he jumped down from the couch. 

"Oh yeah, you definitely have." Before she could stop him, Chris leapt forward, his fingers digging into her sides. Lia screamed, her laughter filling the large open space as he tickled her. 

"You sure you don't wanna take it back?" His attack didn't stop as he asked the question. As much as she tried to respond, her hiccupy laugh stopped her. His fingers stopped, giving her a chance to catch her breath.

"That was so mean, I take it back." She gripped both of his wrists, a half-assed attempt at keeping him from starting back up again. Her smile said the exact opposite of her words though.  

Chris's large body loomed over her as he smiled down at her. If he really had wanted to, it would take zero effort to escape her grasp, but alas. He instead let her unconsciously tighten her hold on him. 

"Are you sure?"

"Mhm, totally."

Chris leaned closer, his body having found its way between her legs during his attack.

"Absolutely positive?"

"Yep." Lia lifted her chin at him, almost triumphantly. 

"Okay, if you say so, princess." Closer still, their torsos brushed against each other lightly.

Lia caught herself giggling at the nickname. Oh god, why did that sound so nice? It shouldn't have had the affect on her that it did, but her stomach released a kaleidoscope of butterflies. 

Still, neither of them made any effort to move. Tentatively, Lia let her hands drift up his arms clutching his biceps instead. "You only succeeded because you caught me off guard. And you're too heavy to push away when I'm struggling to breathe."

"Oh, that's why." His dry tone made her laugh, but her voice got caught in her throat as one of his hands found its way to her hip. His grip was tight, not too tight, but tight enough that she felt compelled to slide herself down, just a bit. 

Her movement, automatic and mostly unintentional, caused their hips to meet. His grip on her hip tightened, as did hers on his arms. neither of them moved for a moment, just gazed at each other. His eyes were dark, much darker than their usual light greenish-blue color. His eyes moved from hers to her lips and back up again. He was tempted to lean closer, but he made sure to give her room to push him away if she wanted.

His attempt proved foolish though as she just readjusted herself again, this time their chests meeting as well. "Lia..." Her name came out as a warning. One which, despite every alarm going off in her head, she was more than willing to ignore. 

This is a bad idea, She thought. Such a horrible idea. 

And yet.

"Chris." 

His lips slammed down on hers so fast she was sure she had whiplash. One of his arms moved to the side of her head to support himself while hers flew to his head. Kissing Chris felt like a breath of fresh air. Of tasting your favorite ice cream flavor for the first time. Of the first swim of the summer. 

It was a kiss that you never wanted to end, but this one might have to if Lia wanted to avoid getting hurt.