Review of Overlord

Personally, I've never been a fan the fantasy genre as I can never be bothered to keep up with all the extra world building nonsense and probably because I got killed one too many times Dark Souls to the point that I condemn fantasy genre things. But I was suggested to watch Overlord partly because the new season is about to come out and because apparently it might go my interest; so, with high scepticism I watched this series and four sleepless nights later I watched it all and I have to say it's quite enjoyable.

The premise of Overlord is this, a future gamer with too much time on his hands plays a video game which is fully immersive to the point where you literally are in the game physically speaking and this game is about to shut down so this gamer decides to do one last play only to discover that when the server of the game shuts down he's stuck inside the game and can't get out. Pretty strange premise I have to admit but apparently this is a common topic in this genre called Isekai or "in otherworld", but I will not argue for now. As stated already the gamer is stuck trapped but thankfully in his case as the title suggests he is a very powerful gamer as a matter of fact he is most powerful gamer in the game's history so he is very safe; interestingly all the non-playable characters come alive for some reason and are fiercely loyal to our gamer character as he programmed these characters that way before he got stuck in the game. These nonplayer characters are extremely entertaining and so over-the-top.

The animation is average, nothing else to say on that front and the music is very much enjoyable but I wasn't too fond of the later seasons opening scenes and all three closing sequences I didn't exactly dislike but didn't exactly enjoy either.

In terms of ideas or themes if there are any, one I seem to notice is the ambivalence of the gamer in that can we consider him a good guy, a villain or an anti-hero and my conclusion is simply survival has no morals and trying to be hero or villain is a rather foolish notion in the situation that the gamer is in.

Whether I am excited for the new season I have to say yes, largely because the series is very addictive and I particularly love the character designs in particular the designs of the main cohorts of the gamer.

For those interested in watching Overlord, you will find all three seasons on all well stocked pirate streaming sites and when the fourth season comes out you'll find it along with the other seasons on Funimation.