Chapter 2

Some of life's greatest gifts, are often wrapped in a box of pain and suffering.

-Unknown Philosopher

Within yet another dark space, Matt finally awakens. He doesn't move, and instead is fighting to just open his eyes.

"I.....I'm still alive..... Heh I knew I wouldn't die like a bitch." As he mumbles in a voice barely audible to anyone but himself, he finally manages to open his eyes. As he does so, he is greeted by a bright light, aimed directly at his eyes.

"Damnit, what's with the damn light?" He squints his eyes as he tries to move his hand to block the light, however he notices that he can't move his arm. Even worse, he can't move any of his limbs.

"What the hell?!" As he raises his head with a struggle, he finally figures out why he can't move his limbs.

Both his arms and legs are tied down to what looks like one of the mad scientist tables they use for experiments, kind of like the one Dr.Frankenstein used to make his monster. Before he starts panicking, he notices that both of his arms are bandaged up, and he still has on his pants, however his shirt is missing, revealing the slightly bloody bandages covering his chest.

"Well that rules out probing, so at least that's a plus. But damn, I got fucked up." He tried to move his fingers, but he couldn't feel either of his hands. He laid back down in disappointment at his current situation.

Before he could continue his brooding session, he heard what sounded like a door opening, and footsteps approaching his location. So he did what any person strapped to a table would do. He turned his head, and played dead. He even left his tongue out life a dead dog, thinking that would trick whoever was coming.

The footsteps got closer, before stopping right next to him. The next few seconds felt like ages, as Matt continued to play dead, while the person standing above him looked at him like he was an idiot.

Eventually, the person couldn't do it anymore, and finally spoke with a sigh.

"You do know, there's a heart monitor next to you right?"

The silence felt brutal, as the man looked at Matt like he was a moron, and Matt felt stupid, not even noticing the monitor.

As he finally opened his eyes and looked to his right, he finally saw his visitor. The man was wearing a white scientist coat, with a white shirt and yellow tie under it. Alongside his basic khakis, he was actually wearing what Matt recognized as something that looked like crocs.

As Matt looked at the mans face, he saw a messy beard and moustache, and bed hair. The man wore glasses as well, with them barely hiding the deadpan look in his eyes as he looked back at Matt.

"So uh, nice crocs?" Matt tried his best to lighten the mood a bit with a compliment, however the man looked at him confused. "What are crocs? I don't quite understand."

With the mans expression of judgement bearing down on Matt, he tried to point at the mans footwear with his eyes. With a look of confusion and realization, the man pointed at his shoes with his hand.

"You mean my Gators? Ah thank you, I'm glad I found someone who can appreciate quality footwear!" The mans expression became visibly better, and he no longer looked at Matt like he was a moron.

However it was the opposite for Matt, as he had to come to terms with the fact that, this world had a shoe called Gators. And it made him extremely confused.

The man straightened out his glasses.

"I believe we got off on the wrong foot, my name is Dr. Samuel Revan. And you are?"

Matt looked at him with suspicion.

"My name is Matt."

Dr. Revan nodded his head.

"Well then Matt, well I guess I should explain your current situation." He quickly adjusted his glasses, then walked over to the nearby desk and grabbed a clipboard.

"You are currently in frontier research facility named Outpost Tundra. And some of our guards found you being attacked by a Sabyr in the woods nearby." Before he could continue, Matt raised his head a bit.

"Woah woah woah! Wait a second! First off, what the hell is a Sabyr? And 2, why the hell am I strapped down to a metal table! And where's my shirt!"

Dr. Revan stared at him calmly. "Well my friend, to answer your first question. A Sabyr is a type of Grimm that prowl this icy tundra we are in currently. And truth be told, you are very lucky to have survived, as sabyr's are extremely fast. Luckily for you the one you were attacked by seems to be starving, and was in bad shape."

He readjusted his glasses once again.

"And to answer your second question, I'm afraid that you my friend have been fancied by one of our lead scientists. And he will be coming to well, 'tinker' with you. Also your shirt was pretty much destroyed, so I used it to start that fire over there." He points to the fire going in the fireplace nearby.

Matt stared at him in shock and confusion.

"Wait, so let me get this straight. Because one of your scientist is movin mad, I'm being held here?! And you used my shirt for FUEL?! And what the hell do you mean by tinker?!"

Matt was going off on one of his cursed filled rants. Luckily Dr. Revan remained calm, and waited for him to finish venting.

A few minutes pass and Matt has calmed down, mostly due to him not having enough energy to even continue. Seeing he is finished, Dr. Revan finally continued to speak.

"Well I understand your anger, and it is indeed well placed. However there is nothing I can do to help you. Since you owe this base for rescuing you and treating your wounds." Seeing Matts face turning visibly red he quickly continued.

"Well at the least, I will do my best to assist you, as your assigned medical doctor."

This left Matt confused. "What do you mean assigned medical doctor? Why would I need a medical doctor?"

Dr. Revan adjusted his glasses once again. "Well my friend, other than patching up your wounds there, your welcome by the way, I'm afraid I can't explain. However once Dr. Wheatley arrives he will explain."

Matt looked even more confused. "Who the hell is Dr. Wheatley?"

Dr. Revan looked back at Matt. "Well he's the one who saved you with the guards, and the one who will be 'working' with you."

As Matt came to the terrible realization, multiple footsteps were heard approaching their room. Dr. Revan and Matt both looked towards the door.

"Well then, looks like its time." Dr. Revan said while adjusting his glasses. His action made Matt think this doctor of his was addicted to adjusting his glasses. It reminded him of someone, but he couldn't put his mind on who.

As he was lost in thought, the door to the room opened, and in stepped 2 armed guards, both dressed in white ballistic armor. And from behind them stepped in a scrawny man in a lab coat. However, the coat had metal tools in its pocket, with noticeable light bloodstains near the edge of the pocket.

As the scientist looked around, his eyes landed on Matt, and Matt felt a chill go through his body. The scientist stared at Matt for a second, before smiling. However the smile wasn't friendly, and it instead was the smile of someone looking at their new favorite toy, creepy, and malicious.

"Hello there"