Right Where You Left Me

Music Notes
Age: 23 and 24

"Did you ever hear about the girl who got frozen? Time went on for everybody else, she won't know it. She's still twenty-three inside her fantasy, how it was supposed to be. Did you ever hear about the girl who lives in delusion? Breakups happen every day, you don't have to lose it."

••••

Millie sat quietly with a book in her hand at her usual table inside the little cafe. It was her favorite table to sit at when she came here, right in the corner of the cafe. where she could see out the big windows and watch people pass by.

Well if she was being completely honest with herself that was not the only reason she liked to sit here in this little corner specifically.

It was pathetic really when one thought about it, Millie sat here to preserve the past in her own little way. This spot held history for her, for them.

She would be lying if she said she didn't think about him every time she sat here, and Millie came here almost daily. The brunette could sit at any empty table available, but she didn't want to.

It had been a year since the break up had happened, in this very spot. Millie had thought things were going so well too. Her heart had never been fuller and she had never felt happier, but it must have been her own delusions and imagination because he had broken her heart in half right here one year ago. The memory was still so vivid in her mind.

Millie's arm was looped through Finn's as they walked into the cafe she had introduced him too when they first started talking. The two sat down at their usual table in the corner.

"What are you going to order today? I was thinking of trying something new instead of my usual chai tea latte, but-"

"Actually Millie, there's something I need to tell you." Finn had cut her off, which was unlike him.

"Oh... okay then. Go ahead."

She eyed him curiously waiting for him to continue. He seemed nervous and unsettled like he didn't want to say what was on his mind, but before Millie could ask if he was okay Finn blurted out what he needed to say. This was when Millie's heart cracked.

"I've met someone else."

She was stunned into silence for a few seconds, her brain suddenly moving fifty miles a minute. All she could do was stare at the man in front of her. Finally she seemed to find words, well one.

"What?"

"We Uhm, we just met a few weeks ago and got to talking that's all. I'm sorry Millie, but the feelings I felt for you just haven't been there like they used to be and I've been trying to think of a way to tell you without hurting you, but-"

This time it was Millie's turn to cut Finn off.

"Wait y- you thought there was a way to tell me you don't love me anymore and that you've meant someone else without hurting me?"

The brunette scoffed, tears starting to burn in the corner of her eyes.

"Did you cheat on me Finn?"

She needed to know, even if the answer would make this hurt more than it already did.

"No! No Millie I swear! That's why I wanted to end things between us before anything happened."

Tears spilled down her face now, silence remained between them for the next minute or so until Millie found her voice again even as weak and shaken as it was now.

"You don't... love me anymore." It was a statement not a question, Finn knew. Almost like Millie was trying to believe the words off her own tongue.

"I'm so sorry Millie... I really am. I didn't mean to lead you on. I just didn't know how to tell you."

The girl said nothing.

"I should go..."

She nodded in response to scared to try and speak.

"Bye Millie."

That had been it, Finn had left her there while tears and mascara ran down her face. Millie wasn't sure how long she had just sat and stared out the window trying to understand what had happened.

It had been a year and she had never been able to understand why Finn stopped loving her. Had she done something wrong? How could one's feelings just fade so fast? She had at the very least come to the hurtful truth that he must not have loved her on the same level that she loved him.

The saddest part was she still felt like her heart was broken. It had been months and months ago, but she still felt the pain. Sure she had healed a little from the sudden break up, but why was it so hard to completely move on from him?

It was sort of like feeling frozen in time. People breakup everyday so why couldn't she just move on? She couldn't help thinking that it wasn't supposed to be this way, the two of them were supposed to have spent their whole lives together. This is what Millie had thought at least, so sometimes she liked to pretend.

It was a sad sight, but Millie's heart still felt so broken even after a year had passed so she liked come here, sit in this little cafe in her corner (their corner) and sometimes she would pretend Finn was still beside her. It was her small fantasy in which she was still the one he wanted, just the two of them.

He would make some stupid nonsense joke, but she would laugh at it anyways and Millie would order her usual chai tea latte. Finn hated coffee so he always got a simple hot tea with some cream and honey.

How was she supposed to help that her heart still hurt? Was it really so bad to sit in this spot and let her imagination take over for a little bit every now and then? She didn't think so...

Millie stayed there right where Finn had left her.

Song: Right Where You Left Me
By: Taylor Swift

Author's Note: Yeah ok I know no one is reading this now, but I'm writing for me. Also to get back some inspiration and motivation lol.

On the off chance someone is still here, thank you and Ily.🫶🏼

Since I haven't updated in an eternity, just a current reminder that I support Finn and Millie's friendship and respect the relationships they are both in wholeheartedly. These two are just simply fun to write.💜