Labyrinth

Music Notes
Age: 21 and 22

"Uh oh, I'm falling in love
Oh no, I'm falling in love again
Oh, I'm falling in love
I thought the plane was going down
How'd you turn it right around..."

••••

Millie had really only ever had two major heartbreaks in her life, romantic wise that is.

The first had been in second grade when her boyfriend of three days said he wanted to play on the swings with another girl at recess and did not want to be her boyfriend anymore. She had cried for a week, lost one recess period to timeout because she had slapped the boy across his cheek, and then everything was fine again. The two had become lifelong friends after this. (His name was Caleb and Millie had been in his wedding a little over a year ago.)

Alright, so maybe that first one didn't really count but Millie was going to count it because in reality she had only been in one serious relationship in her life otherwise, which leads to the second major heartbreak.

He had been her high school sweetheart. The two had started talking two days into freshman year and then begun dating halfway through that same year. This relationship lasted all the way through graduation and even into college for awhile.

The two of them had chosen different colleges to attend that were almost entirely across the country from the other. This had scared Millie immediately, but both of them were determined to make the long distance work.

It had to work, they had been together for the past four years. He was her person, the one for her. The short summary of a long story is that it didn't work. Long distance became to hard.

Visiting plans slowly became "I can't come that weekend" instead of "I'll see you soon" and text messages turned from long conversations well into the night to short check ins a couple times a week. The FaceTime calls were soon nonexistent until one night he called for the first time in awhile and Millie's heart dropped into her stomach for the first time ever at the sight of his name on her screen.

Really, she knew this was coming. She had been putting off doing it herself because knowing doesn't make it any less painful. His face came into view when she pressed accept and he immediately noticed the sad smile on her face.

"I wanted to talk about this in person, but I know we are both to busy to travel to the other right now so this is the best I can do."

"I know." is all Millie could muster in response without her voice cracking.

It was sweet really, she had almost wished he would be an ass about it and dump her over text so she had a reason to be mad at him, but that wasn't fair of her to hope for after everything.

"We have to end things Millie."

There it was. She tried to blink the tears away, but that would only work for so many minutes.

"I'm sorry, I really wanted it to work."

The only words she could get out in response were. "Me too."

"I don't know if this is a sucky thing to say or not but I just want you to know that I still love you."

"I love you too."