𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

October 2019

Udaipur

Mahajan's

In the busy hours of afternoon, when the weather was just perfect and the vibe was of nothing but joy and cheerfulness all around, mostly because it is that time of the year wherein most of the families come together to celebrate this joyous festival of lights.

In the broad light of the day, in front of the Mahajan house, a bullet roar was heard and then a man of Monami's age could be seen getting down from his ride, pulling his helmet off and settling his curly black hair which was actually not needed, but nonetheless he did.

He is Sidharth Ganju, best friend of Monami since they both were crawling on their knees. He is one person beside her father, who knows her the most, including the stuff that her parents and sibling are unaware of. He is a sweetheart and a total opposite of Monami but they have stuck together all their life. He works with Vedant in the same company along with his fiancé, Sanjana Dubey.

Sidharth called Monami and she came downstairs to open the main door. She took some snacks and a can of Thumbs Up for Sidharth from the kitchen, to her room.

The moment they were inside, Sidharth screamed and took his best friend in his arms and twirled with her still being in his arms.

"Monuuuuu." Sidharth squealed with excitement. "Finally moti billi, we are meeting after so long." He pulled back and kissed her forehead.

"Siddd broooo." Monami zealously replied. "18 months bro, 18 months." She messed his hairs a bit.

"Monuu." Sidharth scowled, putting her hands away from his hair.

"Aaja baith jaa." Monami patted on the bed, sitting.

(Come sit.)

After they settled on the bed comfortably, they talked on some trivial matters of past one week, when they weren't able to talk. Then Sidharth finally decided to address the elephant in the room.

"Monu tujhe kya baat karni thi? Tune phone pe bhi kuch nahi bataya. Sab theek hai na?" Sidharth held her palm in between his.

(Monu what do you want to talk about? You didn't even tell on phone. Is everything good?)

"Bro actually..." Monami puffed out a breath of nervousness before speaking again. "Bro aaj mumma papa ne mujhe shaadi ke baare mei sochne bola. They want me to get married."

(Bro, today mumma- papa asked me to give a though to marriage. )

"Okay, toh isme dikkat kya hai? Like don't you want to get married or what? I am asking this so that we can clearly talk about the issue which is bothering you." Sidharth caressed her palm, comfortingly.

(Okay, so what's the problem in that?)

"Umm, to be honest I myself don't know what is it that is bugging me is. Perhaps, it's the jitters that I've got after listening to the subject matter of the discussion." Monami was confused.

"Okay... Look it's an absolutely normal feeling alright! Even I got this when I proposed Sanju, even after knowing her for more than 10 years. Aur aisa isiliye hota hai kyuki ab aapko apne saath saath ek aur insaan ki bhi zimmedaari uthani padti hai, jaise woh humari uthaega. Aur jab aisa karna hota hai na bro, trust me, fatt jaati hai. Kyuki ab aapko apna space aur apni life dono share karni padti hai. Balance bana na padta hai." Sidharth gave words to what he felt.

(And it happens because you have to take responsibility of one more person; along with you just like the other would do for you. And trust me bro, when we have to take this step we get shit scared. Because then you have to share your space and your life, for that matter. You have to balance it.)