| Love and Other Exorcisms

I almost bit him. That night, these were the only words that breezed through my head that I tried to keep locked down. At the height of our sexual chemistry, my teeth, fangs, or whatever freak of nature you want to call them, elongated and all I wanted to do was to pin him to the bed by his throat and bite—just a little.

What had happened? My tongue probed the tip of my canine teeth; they felt normal now. How on earth do I tell Paul what I had almost done right after the most sensual night of my life?

Me: I almost bit you—hard. Whoops.

Imaginary Paul: And why would you do that, Peach?

Me: No freaking clue, Paul. Was hoping you'd tell me. What If I try and do it again? You can run fast, right?

Imaginary Paul: I am all for being dominated in the bedroom, but I'd rather you not do that, Peach.

Didn't I need a full moon or something, an Alpha, or an impending death situation? Wait, had Paul almost made me come so hard I did almost die? Plausible. I shook my head. This was the exact reason this conversation for one was staying well within the confines of my mind. It made no sense. I made no sense.

I kicked off the blanket that clung to my feet. My skin still flamed underneath and it never occurred to me before now, that this heat may be something linked to the wolf within me, much like my need to bite my new boyfriends. Stop it. Shut the hell up. Shhh.

Several hours later, I woke to the glare of a flashlight.

"Remember, you said you trusted me. This is it." Paul grinned. The bed bounced as he sat up, leaving the shadow of Luke at the end of the bed. They were both already dressed.

Cupid is a psychopath.

Paul cut me a sideways glance from the opposite side of the room that said he'd heard that. I propped myself up on my elbows, groggy after only being asleep seconds before their intrusion.

"What time is it?" I said.

"Four am," Luke said. "Wear something warm. It will get chilly."

"Wait, why will it get chilly? I have the internal body temperature of Barbados now. Where are we going at this god-awful hour?"

Luke grinned, and I wasn't sure why. "It's a wolf thing. We are going to the lake house in the woods. It's about time you met the rest of my pack. It's remote. After last night, you'll be safer there."

I couldn't help but think if that would make Paul safer...from me. If I did bite him, hypothetically, the pack could just ravage me to shreds and ensure I didn't need to be embarrassed about it the next day.

Luke was still grinning like an idiot until I realized the bed I was in wasn't his. Paul bent and kissed my forehead. "So what?" he said, his expression softening into adoration. "We had mind-blowing sex. That won't surprise anyone."

Biting my lip, I forced the flush that was creeping into my cheeks away. Luke stood straighter. His gaze slid down to our locked hands, and he nodded once in approval but his tight smile never met his eyes.

Luke took a long, pointed breath in as Paul stood to leave. "You smell different, Paul."

"Tell that to the woman currently warming by bed. She scented me last night. Even when I tried, I failed, but she nailed it the first time." He shook his head with a look of awe on his face.

Luke went ashen.

"What do you mean you tried to scent me first? Why did you fail?" I interrupted.

Paul shrugged. "Beats the shit outta me. Betas can scent other Beta's, Delta's, omega's. Maybe it was because you were wriggling so much." He smirked.