fifteen: grenadine dreams

The drive to Jon's house is both fun and awkward at the same time, with Jon alternating between jokes and life advice, Cory continuously swearing in Spanish, and Lee just soaking everything in

The drive to Jon's house is both fun and awkward at the same time, with Jon alternating between jokes and life advice, Cory continuously swearing in Spanish, and Lee just soaking everything in. Jack is a perpetual thundercloud in the passenger seat, probably too drugged up on the lack of sleep to say much.

Jack stays in the car when Lee pulls up in Jon's doorstep---"I barely know these people," is his excuse, and when Jon wraps a casual arm around Lee's shoulders and directs him to his doorstep, Lee swears Jack's sleepy gaze turns into a glare. (It's probably his imagination, though. The disappointment of Jack's confession not actually being a confession is seriously messing with his brain.)

When they reach Jon's front door, Cory surprises him with a hug so ferocious Lee nearly falls backwards. "You'd better take care of yourself, amigo."

"And come back to school soon," Jon adds. He grins. "We'll collect homework for you if you want."

Lee rolls his eyes. "Homework's the least of my worries right now, I'd say." Then he smiles, staring at his friends. (It's comforting to know he's got more friends than just Yumeko now. Especially since he's not sure what the heck Jack is anymore.) "Thanks, guys. For a great time. And for all the support. I'll see you in a few days." He winks. "If you're lucky."

Cory shoves him gently. "Get out of here, cabrón."

"Hey!" Jon pouts. "Why are you calling him sweetheart? I'm your boyfriend!"

"Sweetheart? I just called him a dumbass!"

"You told me it meant sweetheart!"

"And that's my cue to leave," Lee butts in. He sends a quick salute their way. "So long, lovebirds! Try not to eat each other's faces off!" Once they've replied with matching waves and goodbyes, Lee heads back to his car, where Jack sits in the passenger seat, arms folded over his chest.

"Didn't know you were that close with Cory," Jack states acridly, sounding far more irritated than he'd been just five minutes ago. (Lee's not sure why. Maybe it's the weather?)

"Oh, yeah, we're cool. It's a long story." Lee climbs into the driver's seat, settling his hands on the wheel. The scar climbing over his knuckles flexes vividly, as if firmly etching its place in his life. "He thought I was after his man, but nope. I'm no homewrecker." Unlike Katie, he thinks bitterly, before immediately chastising himself for the notion. It's not her fault. Don't be a dick to people you don't even know. "And no, I'm not after him either." He winks. "Don't be jealous."

Jack lets out a series of spluttering noises that sound like a mix between choking and cursing. "I'm not jealous, you dumb fuck. I'm just---" He shakes his head, massaging his temples irritatedly. "Ugh. Never mind. Where the hell are we going?"

"Space." Lee turns the key in the ignition, revels in the way his engine purrs like a big cat stretching itself out on a hot summer's day.

Truth be told, Lee would hate going to space. It's dark and scary and if gravity wasn't around to pull his feet to the ground, he'd be drifting all the time---sinking, floating, the drowning man. And it terrifies him, the idea of hurtling through the unknown, surrounded by nothing but the universe.