Chapter One - The First Meeting

Damien's bloodthirst had not been sated, his hunger so primal roared with a fevered need. His victim lay limp in his hold, drained of every last drop of blood. He let the pathetic human fall to the floor like a rag-doll, lax and lifeless. It had indeed been a long night but his close companion Matthias had been right, he had been in dire need of some fun. It was not known that Damien's company could ever be eventless. For he was an unruly prince who never ceased with games, mischief and riddles. Chaos followed him wherever he went, his cold blood sang trickster and his dead heart was as black as a starless night sky. My, how he had enjoyed the events of this evening but the night was young and the real fun was yet to begin. Damien breathed in the scent of chaos and revelled in the silence of his dead victim. There was peace in death and he offered it freely. Who would be his next victim?

It was at that very moment she caught the prince's attention. Fitful, feisty and wild little thing, struggling against her binds. Her hands and legs were tightly bound by scratchy ropes that made the skin around her wrists and ankles painfully raw and red. She was in a tattered white dress which would have been beautiful and whole had she not put up a fight against her captors. Her hair was a deep mahogany that fell about her face covering most of her features. She was bony, dirty, frail yet held herself stoically. The fire in her soul and hot blood roaring in her veins, called out to his demon.

Damien cocked his head slightly and asked in a low, seductive tone,

"and who might you be?"

His dark eyes shrewd and inquisitive, sized up his prey. Pearly white fangs glistened in the moonlight, breathtakingly beautiful, even if they only offered the promise of death.

Her heart drummed loudly in her chest, helplessly captivated by his beauty and seduced by his dark charm - but she was no fool. She raised her chin in a proud stance, looking up at him with a spiteful fire dancing in her eyes, ensnaring him at once.

Damien smirked at her defiance, mischief twinkling in his eyes as he held her gaze. He had lived for far too long but a challenge was still as addictive as ever. Bending down towards her, he brought his mouth against her neck, slowly raking his fangs up and down against her fragile skin. The points sharp but only grazing. The warmth from his lips teasing her, a contrast from his cold breath, sending shivers to her core. Her quickened pulse enticing his beast to lose control and give in to instant pleasure. She realised this and stayed utterly still, unyielding and unrelenting against her predator. If it were not for Damien's attuned senses he would not have detected her slight tremble and the faint smell of her fear mixed lust, so sweet and inviting.

Filled with desire and poisonous promises, he whispered against her neck, "I think I'll enjoy playing with you little mouse."

"What makes you think I'll play with you?" She spat back. "Awfully presumptuous of you, is it not?"

He looked deeply into her dark and fiery brown eyes. Damien could have sworn he saw specks of gold flashing at him in defiance. Or perhaps it was only a trick of the light?

'We've already started to play, little mouse," he chuckled. Oh, he would never tire of teasing her, he thought to himself.

She stared him down as if her eyes could sear daggers into him. This only added to Damien's delight who was enjoying the spectacle far too much.

"We can't touch that one Damien," said Matthias regretfully. Coming up from behind him.

"No? Why ever not?" Damien questioned his devoted friend whilst not breaking eye contact with his new prey. "I should like to have this one Matthias."

Matthias rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand. The other ruffling his silky and gorgeous golden hair. "Ah, I know, I know and I don't want to spoil your evening Damien but she's marked... Bathshebas"

"Hmm, I see." Damien answered to no-one in particular. "How unfortunate. I guess theres nothing to be done then... for the moment." The wheels already turning in Damien's mind. The prince had never been denied anything in his very long life and it certainly wasn't going to start now. "Well then I guess we will continue our game another time little mouse." He promised her.

"Never." She promised back.

Standing tall and proud he laughed back at her arrogantly. "Hmm we shall see." Damien straightened his long sleeved robe and rolled his shoulders back, "a name." He commanded her.

She did not reply, only turning her head away from him as if she couldnt stand the sight of him for a second longer.

This angered him. Damien forcefully grabbed her tiny proud chin and bared his fangs at her, "might I remind you that I am your prince and I can promise you much more death. Much more pain." He hissed at her with a cruel venom. "Your choice little mouse."

Again she did not look at him, nor would she answer him. Pride and stubbornness giving her strength.

"So be it." Damien resigned with a deadly calm, releasing her chin as though she were a leper. He turned away from her in a swift motion, grabbing a child from amongst the human prisoners, a tiny girl in a frilly pink dress around the age of five. Lifting her up from her neck with one hand as though she were a mere doll. "I'll ask you only once, your na--"

"Varena!" She shouted, breaking her false courage, her eyes wide as saucers and her heart frantic. "My name is Varena your highness! Sworn to house Sheba!"

Matthias laughed as he watched the events unfold before him. Once again Damien tilted his head to the side, feline like, observing her. The child still struggling for air in his grasp.

Varena frozen, barely breathing and her eyes pleading, she whispered as she begged the Prince again, "please, your highness. The child."

He smirked arrogantly, entirely pleased with himself. Finally releasing the child from his wrath and his grip.

"That wasn't so hard now was it, Varena?" He said her name slowly as though he were making love to her, tasting each letter on his tongue.

Cruel bastard, Varena thought. The bitter taste of submission still lingering and difficult to swallow.

The prince laughed once again as though he had heard her thoughts. The bastard didn't hear that did he? No, for why would he ask her name if he could hear her thoughts? A show of power maybe? Varena didn't like the direction of her thoughts, silencing them quickly just to be safe. Her lady had warned her of him. He was a cruel and dubious prince with immense power, who loved to play his malicious mind games, she wouldn't take any risks when it involved the Prince.