River of Blood || Draco Malfoy

"I won't, I won't ever be the girl you settle for because you can't have Parkinson! Do you have any idea how it tears me apart to know that I gave everything for you, every bit of my love, when I'll only ever be a second best? Why, Draco, why should I treat you as my priority when I'm just one of many options?"

What have I done?

Those words that I can never get back. It was the truth, but sometimes lies outshine truth. Truth is an illusion.

The look on his face. The face I loved more than life.

How do I fix this?

My soul nearly left my body as rapid knocking resounded on my door. Eyes tinged with fear, I crept forward and opened it.

There he stood.

Snowy hair astoundingly disheveled as if he ripped his hand through it multiple times in stress, stormy eyes glittering with worry, and taut lines etched across his handsome face, burdened by a frown.

"Can we talk?"

Swallowing nervously, I barely nodded before letting him in.

One. Two. Five. Eleven.

Draco Malfoy paced eleven laps around the dorm before halting in front of me, nothing but worry and uncertainty in his expression, "Eden, I don't understand."

I folded my arms, letting my hair drape over my face without bothering to tuck it behind my ear, "What don't you understand?"

The anxiety increased in his face as he flapped his arms around the air, beckoning furiously through the large amount of space between the two of us, "What you were talking about. You-me-I need an explanation."

My tongue stuck at my cheek from the inside as I pondered the question, feeling my hand starting to grow clammy from the intense, suspenseful silence hanging over the two of us, "Well. I'm quite sorry about that. I sort of lost control of my emotions. That was my problem on my part."

"Stop it," Draco snapped, jaw locked. "You know very well what I mean."

"Oh."

"Is that all you're gonna say? I'm sorry, but 'oh' won't cut it."

My eyes began blinking rapidly, "Well...two days ago, you were sobbing hysterically over Pansy, and all of a sudden, you like me? Look, Draco, we're friends, right? Yet asking me out seems like using me as a distraction for yourself, so I don't see how you expect me to be okay with that."

He grounded his teeth together, eyes flashing with remorse or guilt or defiance - I couldn't tell, "You know that's not I'm here for. Let's just please get to the point."

Out of nowhere, a wry, almost malicious chuckle echoed from my throat, "What? Is it a crime for me to fall in love?"

There was an overwhelmingly sense of bitterness in my heart. Knowing deep inside that I can never compare to Pansy, to Astoria, to Daphne. To all the beautiful, rich Slytherin girls who pined after Draco Malfoy. After all, what even was I? An average witch with average looks and average grades. It was nothing but luck for me to have befriended the Slytherin ice prince in the first place...what else should I have expected?

He went quiet.

I stuck my chin out, struggling not to blink in case tears started to pour from my bloodshot eyes.

"I never thought," Draco's voice was barely a mumble. "I never would've guessed-how-? Since when?"

"The first day," I deadpanned, tone sardonic and mockingly amused. His eyes went wide at the coldness and scorn, as if never expected that I was also a human and capable of being hurt. Just goes to show how much he noticed me.