Chapter 12

It was two am. Kaiden couldn't know why exactly he was so sure but he was. His eyes slowly opened to the dark interior of the dank motel room. He really hated less than five stars. There wasn't many times in his life when he had taken advantage of his family's incredible wealth. In fact ever since he was sixteen and able to start taking his rightful roles both within the pack and his father's multiple multi-national companies he had prided himself on paying his own way and not relying on his father's fortune to support himself. He had actually had quite the knack for the corporate and financial world and even in just a few short years had amassed his own substantial net-wealth. Still he tried to never let it get to him, working and training as hard as any of his men, however he drew a line at hotel rooms. And after this night he knew he had been smart in that life-long decision, if it wasn't five stars he wasn't staying in it, never again. God his back was a mess. Was there even a mattress on this damn frame?!

Pushing through his irritation Kaiden wiped the last of the fog from his brain, finally realizing what must have happened. His mate had woken up and after the scare of last night his wolf had stayed alert tonight watching for her consciousness. Slowly rising up onto his elbows he was surprised to see her up and sitting on his bed.

When he had finally crawled into the second bed after having Clay relieve him of his watch at around midnight, she had been curled asleep on the other bed. Olivia sprawled on the other side after his mate had placed a row of pillows down the middle of the mattress. Kaiden almost let out another chuckle as he remembered the poor women's confusion, she had no idea what to make of the mystery of his mate. Richard had bedded down on the floor, until his turn at watch around 4. While, Aus, Blair and Clay took turns in the second room.

Running a hand through his midnight black hair Kaiden looked at his mate. She was once again wearing his way to large black t-shirt over a pair of his boxers. The sight had him instantly hard and he had to work hard to push the flair of instant desire down. Taking a deep inhale of her scent he tried to calm himself, it would help no one if he jumped her in the middle of the night with two other people only a few feet away. Her hair was down although it now had a soft wave to it from her sleeping on the silky strands, and her face had the slightest flush from her sleepy state. Kaiden had to force a growl down as he eyed her, it wasn't helping that he was overly aware that they were on a bed together, and he couldn't help the images the thought woke up in him.

For her part Aislinn didn't seem overly bothered with her proximity to him or their lack of suitable clothing. Kaiden nearly lost it when he finally dragged his gaze from her face to the sight of her long bare legs crossed and tucked under her. Trying to focus he wondered what she needed. Last night she had awoken and wanted to eat. He tried to remember how much fruit they had left from the groceries Clay and Blair had grabbed.

"Hey love." he spoke gently not wanting to startle her or wake the others. He wanted this moment with her all to himself if he could. Slowly he pushed himself up further until his back rested on the headboard. The light sheet he had thrown over himself fell down revealing his toned and broad chest. He felt his heart and pride soar as he watched his mate take in his naked chest for the first time. She didn't show any reaction but the fact that she had noticed that fact, had taken an interest in his body made his heart leap. Did this mean that she recognized who he was to her? Did she feel the pull between them? Was she attracted to him? Kaiden hated to admit weakness. And fear was always seen as a weakness, both in pack life and the corporate world. But this late at night in the dark to himself, he would admit there was a small part of himself that was terrified that his mate's lake of reaction and affection was a lack of interest of recognition. That she could ignore any need to physically be near him had planted a seed of doubt, what if she didn't feel the mate bond? Didn't feel the pull to him? Would she be able to leave him? Reject him?