Chapter 38

He let her sit a few more minutes drinking her last beer.

"You ready to go back home now?"

When she looked up at him, he could see as she debated sensing her reluctance, he stayed quiet until at last she slowly nodded.

Moving swiftly he helped her from the booth. Wrapping an arm around her waist when she swayed on her feet. Looking down he laughed softly, pulling her into his side. Keeping a tight hold around her waist he hoisted her over the still body that was still unconscious and sprawled out on the grungy floor.

"So what did you do to him?" Kaiden asked curiously as he spared the body a quick glance. He was trying to ignore how good she felt in his arms, a low growl rumbling his chest when he noticed two male wolves looking at her. His eyes flashing black as they not so discreetly sniffed the air trying to catch her scent. He pulled her tighter into his side.

"He was bothering me-" She started, a scowl on her face and little wrinkle crinkling her forehead as she scrunched her face in distaste. At the look Kaiden let his foot connect with a little extra force into the man's side, an idea of what he had done becoming clearer. He wished he had the opportunity to do more damage to the wolf but the painful bruise and cracked rib would have to satisfy his anger. "So I told him to go to sleep." She continued which earned a chuckle from him.

Even after they were over the obstacle Kaiden didn't release her. His large warm arm staying wrapped around her waist and holding her pressed securely to his side, his hand possessively resting on her waist and carrying most of her weight. It felt good. Right almost and in no mood to fight against it, Aislinn gladly let herself relax into him. Content to trust him to get her wherever it was they were going.

Stepping out and into the cool night air woke her up a bit. Enough at least to notice Richard and her guards standing rigidly beside the doors. Their bodies relaxed fractionally when they spotted her safe, whole and in her mates embrace.

Kaiden led her to her car, opening the passenger door and helping her slip in. Shutting it behind her, he stopped to speak to Richard and who she thought might have been Clay, but who was to blurry to really make out, by the hood of the car. They threw glances her way sporadically but with her head starting to spin and her exhaustion finally hitting her she was too tired to care what they were talking about. Closing her eyes, she leaned her head back against the headrest as a wave of nausea hit her, rolling her stomach.

The car door opened and the cool breeze brought with it Kaiden's scent, rushing over her helping to push back the uncomfortable feeling in her head. She took deep breaths as he slammed shut his door and started the engine, her tummy following her head and also thankfully settling down.

They drove in silence for a few minutes before she slowly turned her head. Opening her eyes slowly she looked at his face that was lit up in the dark interior by the dash lights. His profile strong and rugged in the dark shadows of the interior of the car.

"Kade?" His face turned towards her. His eyes lighting up at the sound of her calling him by name.

"Yes love?"

"Who was on the phone?" She spoke slowly, enunciating each word. Her eyes kept losing focus as she tried to watch his expressions.

His eyes darkened at the reminder and his anger rising to the surface once more. "My mother."

"Oh" was all she said. Kaiden didn't miss the sudden sadness that over took her. His mind began to panic when he noticed as tears started gathering in her eyes. Making their normally cool and clear grey, cloudy and red rimmed.

"My-my" She cleared her throat tearing her eyes from him and dropping them to her hands folded in her lap not wanting him to see the tears threatening to spill over. The punishment for them was too much. Her head started to hurt again. The alcohol making it difficult for her to focus. Memories of the past warred in her mind with the safe and secure feeling of the present.