Chapter 14: Finding the Dam Snack Bar

***

At the edge of the dump, we found a tow truck so old it might've been thrown away itself. But the engine started, and it had a full tank of gas, so we decided to borrow it.

Thalia drove. She didn't seem as stunned as Zoe or Grover or Percy. I would have volunteered to, but we would have gotten pulled over for sure.

"The skeletons are still out there," she reminded us. "We need to keep moving."

She navigated us through the desert, under clear blue skies, the sand so bright it hurt to look at. Zoe sat up front with Thalia. Grover, Percy, and I sat in the pickup bed, leaning against the tow winch. The air was cool and dry, but the nice weather just seemed like an insult after losing Bianca.

To keep watch, I formed a raven out of the shadows. It flew above us and I would routinely shut my eyes to make sure nothing was following. So far nothing.

My hand closed around the little figurine that had cost Bianca her life. I still couldn't even tell what god it was supposed to be. Nico would know.

Oh, gods... what was I going to tell Nico?

I wanted to believe that Bianca was still alive somewhere. But I had a bad feeling that she was gone for good.

"It should've been me," Percy said, breaking the silence. "I should've gone into the giant."

"Don't say that!" Grover panicked. "It's bad enough Annabeth is gone, and now Bianca. Do you think I could stand it if..." He sniffled. "Do you think anybody else would be my best friend? Besides Lillian, I mean."

"Ah, Grover..."

He wiped under his eyes with an oily cloth that left his face grimy, like he had on war paint. "I'm... I'm okay."

But he wasn't okay. Ever since the encounter in New Mexico- whatever had happened when that wild wind blew through -he seemed really fragile, even more emotional than usual. I was afraid to talk to him about it, because he might start bawling.

We all lapsed back into silence, each in our own thoughts. Mine happened to go back to the helmet I saw in the junkyard. I shut my eyes, the image of the truck from above filling my mind.

There.

I thought I saw something strange, so I created another creature and sent it out. A black horse shimmered as it ran farther from the truck.

"Hello, Lillith." I heard a familiar voice tell me.

My eyes shot open and I brought my hands to my head at his sudden words. I nearly curse at the explosive pain I feel and begin to breathe heavily.

"It could have been showing you what will happen." Pitch continued, showing me an image of the helmet. Visions of the Iron Man suit buried in rubble appear in my mind, alongside my father's body in a broken suit and other nightmarish things.

"No." I mutter, shaking my head and forcing myself to see my friends in the truck bed with me. "No, this can't be happening."

Immediately I sat up straighter and looked all around us. My fists were clenched as I kept my eyes out for familiar black and gold eyes or his creatures.

"What is it?" Percy asked, noticing my behavior.

"Nothing." I tell him, forcing myself to level my voice and keep calm. Facing forward, I stare at the floor of the truck bed. Otherwise I will keep looking for Pitch. "I thought I saw something out there. I just need a break."

Percy gave me a strange look, glancing over at Grover. The satyr met my eyes, and I could see sadness in his eyes.

"Stupid satyr ability to feel emotions," I mutter, earning an offended look from both him and Percy.