Chapter 16: Nerus and Bessie

***

I knew Percy was in trouble when we stopped at the Goodwill drop box. Five minutes later, Zoe had him outfitted in a ragged flannel shirt and jeans three sizes too big, bright red sneakers, and a floppy rainbow hat.

"Oh, yeah," Grover said, trying not to burst out laughing, "you look completely inconspicuous now."

Zoe nodded with satisfaction. "A typical male vagrant."

I let out a snicker, earning a glare from my friend.

"Thanks a lot," he grumbled. "Why am I doing this again?"

"I told thee. To blend in."

She led the way back down to the waterfront. After a long time spent searching the docks, Zoe finally stopped in her tracks. She pointed down a pier where a bunch of homeless guys were huddled together in blankets, waiting for the soup kitchen to open for lunch.

"He will be down there somewhere," Zoe said. "He never travels very far from the water. He likes to sun himself during the day."

"How do I know which one is him?"

"Sneak up," she said. "Act homeless. You will know him. He will smell... different."

"Great." Percy said. "And once I find him?"

"Grab him," she said. "And hold on. He will try anything to get rid of thee. Whatever he does, do not let go. Force him to tell thee about the monster."

"We've got your back," Thalia said. She picked something off the back of Percy's shirt- a big clump of fuzz that came from who-knows-where. "Eww. On second thought... I don't want your back. But we'll be rooting for you."

Grover gave him a big thumbs-up, and me a supporting smile.

I heard as Percy grumbled how nice it was to have super-powerful friends and headed toward the dock.

***

We ran down the steps of the pier toward Percy and Nereus.

"You got him!" Zoe said.

"You don't have to sound so amazed," Percy said.

Nereus moaned. "Oh, wonderful. An audience for my humiliation! The normal deal, I suppose? You'll let me go if I answer your question?"

"I've got more than one question," Percy told him.

"Only one question per capture! That's the rule."

Percy looked back at us.

After a moment my friend sighed. "All right, Nereus. Tell me where to find this terrible monster that could bring an end to the gods. The one Artemis was hunting."

The Old Man of the Sea smiled, showing off his mossy green teeth. "Oh, that's too easy," he said evilly. "He's right there."

He pointed to the water at Percy's feet.

"Where?" Percy asked.

"The deal is complete!" Nereus gloated. With a pop, he turned into a goldfish and did a backflip into the sea.

"You tricked me!" my friend yelled.

"Wait." Thalia's eyes widened. "What is that?"

"MOOOOOOOO!"

"Ah, Bessie," Percy said, looking down at the water. "Not now."

"Mooo!"

Grover gasped. "He says his name isn't Bessie."