Chapter two

Y/n pov

I managed to keep my arm attached as the kid dragged me. "Niño, slow down." I huffed, gesturing as best as I could to him, only dragging my brother's detached arm.

"Oh -". He winced as we both looked back at the doors. Héctor was running out and managed to catch up, and now we're all running further into the city.

~~~

We were now under a bridge, and I was doing the kids' makeup. "If you want to be here, you must look like us." I told him seriously. "Y/N! MARÍA IS CRYING...HELP!" My brother yelled. "Aye, Héctor just bounce her gently." I sighed, annoyed.

Héctor loves María, and I love my brother. He will never babysit her.

"What's your name again, kid?" I asked as I did his makeup. "Miguel". He mumbled. "Well, Miguel. I'm Y/n. " I smiled softly. "You know, you shouldn't be here. It's dangerous. " I said softly. "I need to do this... you wouldn't understand." He sighed. "Aye, chico. I won't if you don't explain. " I chuckled softly. "And voilà!" I chirped, taking my mirror out.

Héctor walked over and quickly handed me a fussy María who immediately calmed down. "Dead as a doorknob! Nice one, hermana. " My brother punched my shoulder. "Do that again. You lose your head and won't get it back." I said in a 'sweet' voice, making his eyes widen, and he slowly handed me my daughter.

Héctor got down to Miguel's level, who was checking out his makeup. "So listen, Miguel, this place runs on memories. When you're well remembered, people put up your photo, and you get to cross the bridge and visit the living on Día de Muertos. " My brother explained to Miguel as María slowly fell asleep from me rocking her.

"Unless you're us hermano." I sighed and looked down. I think about the years gone by. "You guys don't get to cross over?" Miguel asked, confused. "No one has ever put up our picture Miguel". I said with a shaky breath as I turned away from both Héctor and Miguel. If I could cry... I would.

"That's you and Y/n?" I heard Miguel ask. Héctor must've shown him our picture. "Eh, muy guapo, ah?" I heard my brother ask. "Oh god." I sighed and smacked the back of his head. Héctor cried out and glared at me.

"So you get me to my great great grandmother...the I put up your photo when I get home?" Miguel asked, looking unsure. "That is apparently what we are going to do." I sighed with an annoyed look. "We must warn you, De la Cruz is a tough guy to get to, and we need to cross the bridge soon." My brother told him. "Like tonight." I added with a nervous smile. "Miguel, do you have any other family members here that you know? That are easier to get to?" I asked gently as I used my free hand to grab his.

"Nope!" He said quickly, making me look at him suspiciously with my e/c. "Don't lie to us, chico. You've got to have other family here." I state as Héctor nods in agreement.

"Only De la Cruz." He said, standing up and pushing our photo into Héctor's chest. "If neither of you can help me, I'll find him myself." He shrugged, walking off, then let's out a whistle, which makes his dog follow.

Both of us groan. "Okay. Okay, kid. Fine! Fine! We'll get you to your great great grandmother!" Héctor called, putting his hat back on and dragging me with him.

"Aye! Héctor!" I exclaimed, as I almost dropped María.

'What is with people dragging me tonight!?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HELLO! IT HAS BEEN A WHILE! UMMMMMMMMM YEAH LOL, HOPE YA'LL ENJOY!

Love,
Lavender 💜