Chapter one: Fleeting Consciousness

TW: Unconsciousness, Brief injury, Hostage, Mention/Threat of death

Grian had been in the nether for days, searching for the newcomer to the server. Everyone said they were evil, but Grian always liked giving people a second chance.

Zooming around with his elytra, he spotted something off. A familiar-looking hermit was running along a lava lake towards a nether fortress. It took Grian a few seconds to recognize them.

"Hey, Welsknight! Have you seen the new Hermit anywhere? I want to meet them," said Grian as he glided down his fellow hermit.

Suddenly, Grian was hit by an arrow, and he caught on fire. As he panicked, he caught a glimpse of the approaching figure. He had red eyes and looked almost exactly like Welsknight.

As Grian slowly faded away, the last words he uttered were:

"I'm so sorry Mumbo..."

And with that, he faded into unconsciousness.

*Mumbo Pov*

Mumbo had been in the end, searching for the other hermit, when he hit an invisible wall, only to plummet down onto the end island he was flying over.

"Is this a prank? Who did this?"

Mumbo crashed into the ground, his legs making a sickening crunch noise. As he tried to stand up, he collapsed back down. Mumbo was startled and started to take damage every time he tried to move.

"Someone help! I can't move!"

But nobody heard. At least, nobody good. As a shadowy figure appeared from behind an endstone hill, intense shivers wracked Mumbo's body.

"Hello, Mumbo Jumbo. I've been waiting for you."

"W-what do you want from me?" the fabulously mustached hermit exclaimed.

"I have a few... Challenges for you to complete," said the dark figure, slowly getting closer.

"I'll do it, just don't hurt Gri- Any of the other hermits," said Mumbo, trying to stand up.

The figure placed down a long line of red shulker boxes and opened one, grabbing a few of the contents. Mumbo started to crawl towards the edge of the island when a potion sailed just past his arm, but still breaking and splashing him. He started to protest but then he slowly stood up, his legs working again.

"That was given as proof of trust. Give me your elytra, and I'll give it back when you are done with your jobs. Sounds good?" the figure said, almost at the edge of the shadows.

Mumbo threw his elytra just slightly out of the shadows and was treated to a vision he had never seen. A player wearing a Warden head.

"If you look into the shulker boxes there, you will find an abundance of Redstone, and all the components you will most likely need, and if we need more, I can just summon more."

Mumbo stood there, watching as the Hermit stared at the sky, and the warden head started glowing and vibrating.

"Oh, and you might want to stand back for this."

Mumbo took a step back, and tripped over something. As an intense shockwave passed through him, his last thought was:

'I hope Grian is safe.'

*Grian POV*

Grian was anything but safe. He had woken up in a cage made out of nether brick fences, with a single iron door holding him in his cell. Beside him was a strange cauldron-like block that looked like it contained a liquid nether portal. Curious, Grian approached it and tapped it lightly on the side. Instantly, he felt his soul feel drawn to it.

As his back was to the door, the person who had knocked him out had snuck in without Grian hearing the door open. Slowly, he walked towards Grian and tapped him on the shoulder.

"WHA- YOU! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? I JUST WANT TO MEET THE NEW PLAYER!" Grian yelled, his voice filled with rage, and trace amounts of fear.

"I need you to simply build something for me. Then you can go home to this 'Mumbo' you adore so much."

"How do you know about Mumbo?"

"You talk in your sleep."

Grian frowned and took a deep breath.

"What exactly do you want from me? I am not an admin, and I don't know that much about this server." Said grian, cautiously.

"I simply need you to build me something. But first, how about we test those building skills?"

The mysterious person pulled a lever on the wall and Grian fell into a Enormous cave, hitting his head on the way down.

"Again? How many times am I going to go unconscious?" Thought Grian as he slipped away.

*Mumbo POV*

"Where... am I?" Said Mumbo, standing up and looking around

Mumbo was in an extremely large room and he was surrounded by shulker boxes.

"You are in the room in which you will be doing Redstone for me. I require a way to be transported to the place you may call... The Nether." Said the person standing in the corner

"Can't you just make you a normal nether portal?"

"I need to locate someone important. I'm sure you'll find a way. This kind of thing doesn't come easy, it will likely drain your life force to the brink of Death, but I feel like you are a tough one."

"And what if I don't?" Said Mumbo, defiantly.

"Then i might just use this"

The person pulled a command block out of their inventory.

"And make death a little more... Permanent"