Chapter 30 - Boarding House, Kashgar, Communist China 1960

Mac stood over the body lying under the bed in the safe house. Out the window, hours away was a KBG convoy.

Mac leafed through the passports with a frown. "Vladimir Chang... vital KBG agent," he muttered. "He bled to death. Which would mean, he dragged himself from somewhere and..." Mac looked over the body. "Whoever beat him up, got him good." He searched through the trench coat pockets. "There's no way to cover this up. I've got to dump Chang in the desert." Mac glanced out the window. "No way out of town..." His eyes flickered from Chang to Jake. Both were pale, both had dark hair, Chang was a bit heavier.

Mac glanced at Jake, lying in the corner of the room on a cot. "Okay pal. Your cover name is Vladimir Chang. You are a KBG agent who hates Americans, especially one named Indiana Jones, and you will get at him any way possible. You had his daughter, Emily Jones shot because of this. Along with Miss Jones you also shot the American spy who was after the scroll. You were very close to finding the scroll, based on information gleaned during the interrogation of Emily Jones, when your best friend, Riley Dawson, an arms dealer stole all your research and shot you, three times. I'll forge your papers right away."

Jake moaned.

There was a knock at the door.