002. two birds

════ ・༺༒༻・ ════

════ ・༺༒༻・ ════

There was only a handful of people who knew Lucy never died and two of them were Demos Lestrange and Dominic Nott. The other one was a cousin of Lucy's and one was her dear friend. It was not an easy choice for Lucius and Narcissa to make but they couldn't bear the idea of their daughter growing up with no friends or family at all. Demos was to be trusted and so was Dominic — even as children.

They were both very sad children. They both had parents but none were exactly parental. Demos' mother and father were mad and had spent a good portion of his life in Azkaban while Dominic's father was very much in his life but only to torment him. His mother was around too but was too far lost in her mind to be of any use.

Demos had always known he was different. He wasn't like the boys he went to Durmstrang with. Violence or power didn't spark interest in him like poetry and landscapes did. Demos found beauty in the mundane — he didn't enjoy power like his parents. His father had wanted a son, an heir but not Demos. No, Demos was too different, too sensitive.

When Bellatrix and Rodolphus Lestrange escaped their over a decade long incarceration in Azkaban and met their son after so many years, they only glared at him. He had been soft and kind as a young boy but they had hoped Durmstrang had turned him into a strong, powerful man. Demos thought he was those things but just not in the way his parents wanted him to be.

The insults his parents had shouted at him had been cruel and inhuman — much like them. Demos' aunt and her husband were of no use then as they were not his parents though often he wished they were. Lucius and Narcissa had taken good care of his over the years and loved him despite of his certain qualities.

"Your father is back," Dominic Nott said. He was standing by a window in a small cabin located in Northern Ireland. The ocean side view made the world seem so beautiful while in reality, there was no beauty in the world.

Dominic turned to look over his shoulder, seeing Demos' body twisted in bed sheets. He was clearly awake but did not want to be — the promise of that lingered in the air around him. Demos mumbled something against his pillow and turned his side to face Dominic.

"I don't care," said Demos, his voice still hoarse from sleeping. "He has escaped before too."

"I'm well aware," Dominic said, facing the window again. "Lucius Malfoy escaped as well."

The news of Lucius' escape did interest Demos. The Malfoy patriarch has been like a father to him and when Lucius had been captured and sent off to Azkaban, the news had upset him greatly. After Lucius' imprisonment Demos had spent a lot of his time in France with Lucy.