Part XIII - The Night Begins

24th April, 1830.

The faint sound of music had been wafting up the staircase for a few minutes now, and the slight noise of mingling guests crossing through the downstairs hall notified Elsie that her mothers ball had officially started.

She knew she was supposed to be downstairs already, greeting the guests, but Elsie would honestly rather be reading alone in her room.

Reluctantly, she forced herself down the stairs, a genuine smile plastering her face by the time she'd reached the bottom, as she'd remembered who would be arriving soon. Simon and Lenore, she thought as she made her way out the front door to stand on the porch steps, they'll be here any moment.

When the siblings finally rounded the corner, Elsie felt as if she may faint. Simon looked handsome in his gray suit, of course he did, though he seemed mildly on edge in such fancy clothing. Lenore, however...

Lenore.

The fabric of the dress that she wore practically shimmered in the dim light, reflecting the shine of the street lamps with a glow like molten honey. Her hair was tied back into a low bun - something Elsie never expected to see on the woman.

Lenore gripped the side of her skirt roughly as she walked, visibly grumbling to Simon. Likely about having to wear such heavy clothing, Elsie could only guess. As they neared the front walk, Simon gave a friendly wave to Elsie.

Elsie picked up her skirt layers, racing down to greet them. She'd practically run into them, snatching them both up into a lovely hug, as she could no longer contain herself. "I really thought you'd decide not to come at the last second." She said as she released the pair, practically jumping up and down with excitement.

Elsie glanced behind her for a moment, noticing how most of the people approaching the home were giving strange side glances to the three of them.. Lenore in particular. Elsie grumbled something as she turned back to the siblings, quickly returning to her state of being overly excited.

"Glad to be here," Simon chuckled, glancing around with a smile and wide eyes. "Yeah. Thanks for the invite, even though this whole dress code thing is entire and terribly dreadful," Lenore mumbled, unabashedly glaring at anyone who dared to so much as look in her direction.

"Now, I do hope you won't mind me having a little fun, yes?" Simon leaned forward, voice lowering to a conspiratorial murmur.

"My God, I'd be surprised if you'd be able to take in more than two drinks of my mothers before you end up passed out on the lawn." Elsie laughed, already aware of where this was going. "I'd be careful if I were you."

She turned back towards the house, almost skipping her way back up the front walk, right past her mother. Carolyn looked annoyed, to say the least, obviously letting out an audible scoff as she turned to follow her daughter back inside.

Simon gave a polite wave as he passed by Mrs Clarke, before practically dumping Lenore off onto Elsie and slinking away - likely to go look for some trouble to stir. He was headed in the direction of the ballroom, which was also serving beverages, so he'd likely find something to entertain himself with soon enough.

Left alone with Elsie and her mother, Lenore glanced around. Her thick brows furrowed as she observed the furniture - it didn't seem to be to her liking. She had wandered off to the other side of the hallway to peer at a picture when Carolyn leaned over and spoke into her daughter's ear. "When you said you wanted to bring friends, I assumed you meant people of.. higher class," Carolyn finished, staring at Lenore with a scrutinizing glare.

"You're done speaking to me for the evening." Elsie walked away from her mother, practically fuming after the comment she'd made. What on Earth did class have to do with anything? Hopefully, her mother would keep quiet the rest of the evening. The last thing anyone needed was for their night to be ruined by a screaming match between that woman and her daughter.

Elsie crossed to where Lenore had stopped, standing a bit closer to her than she usually would've, hands folded in front of her. "What're you looking at?" She asked, paying more attention to Lenore than to whatever picture she'd been looking at.

"The paintings in your house. They're all incredibly ugly," Lenore's brows lifted in awe, words blunt as ever. Then she grinned, tilting her head down to face Elsie. "Did your mother really think I couldn't hear her? She seems just about as sharp as a marble, that woman." Lenore turned on her heel to wander further down the hallway, bright laughter and footsteps echoing behind her.

Elsie raced to catch up with Lenore, laughing along with her. "She just wants people here who she deems to be presentable and worthy," she sighed, "It's embarrassing, honestly." She'd ended up a bit ahead of Lenore now, weaving in and out of newly arrived guests mingling in the hall. "Hurry up!" Elsie shouted as she reached the door to the first floor ballroom, turning back to face Lenore.

"Presentable and worthy my ass." I think she looks like a bird is living in her hair, the way it's done up is so horribly large," Lorane spat, voice tinged with clear venom. Still, her long strides took her to Elsie's side quickly. Partygoers looked on with wide eyes at Lenore, as if they could hardly believe the sight of her. She didn't seem to care in the slightest.

"Come on!" Elsie snatched up Lenore's arm, dragging her into the room. It was full of her mother's friends, mostly. Anyone there that she didn't know had likely caught news that she'd been offered up for the marriage market, which meant that peace would only be kept for so long before Elsie was bombarded with intrusive inquiries about what kind of wife she would be, among other things.

Elsie linked arms with Lenore, dragging her through the center of the room and off to one of the far walls of the ballroom as they observed the happenings of the party. It was rather nice, actually, everyone dancing with one another.. every woman in attendance with her husband.

It really made Elsie start to think.