Part XVI - A Brewing Storm

1st May, 1830.

I observed something rather peculiar the other evening, while at the home of none other than Mrs. Carolyn Clarke. As I'd hoped to step outside onto the veranda for a moment to relieve myself from the commotion that had been going on inside of the ballroom, I instead found myself faced with a most horrifying sight.

Two women, I saw, interacting and embracing each other in a way that would only be appropriate for that of a married couple. I was completely disturbed, to say the absolute least, and now, with a heavy heart, I must tell you that this pair just happened to be none other than Ms. Lenore Whittock and Ms. Elizabeth Clarke.

The former, I'm sure as most of you may know, has been perceived as the clearly ill woman she is since her arrival to Bromwich however many years ago. The latter, I'm sorry to say, has failed us all. The future of Ms. Clarke had seemed so incredibly bright. The poor girl was seemingly becoming a lovely young woman, until she became infected by these horrible homosexual tendencies.

Both of these women are to be avoided, and, if necessary, prosecuted and shamed for their crimes against and disturbance to our lives.

[Anonymous.]

——————————

Elsie threw down the scrap she'd torn from the newspaper again, absolutely disgusted. How could someone do this? Not only invade on her personal life, but publish about it? And in the town paper, no less. Everyone would know now. What would happen to her?

Nothing, apparently. Elsie hadn't been allowed out of the house for a few days, not since the paper was released the day following her mothers party.

Her mother..

——————————

"I cannot believe you've done this," Carolyn shouted, "My own daughter, have you gone mad?" Elsie opened her mouth to speak, and most definitely to defend herself, but was stopped when the woman began to yell again. "You've ruined our entire family reputation. Now what am I supposed to do with you.." She trailed off, clearly at her breaking point.

"Well, maybe if you'd be a little more open minded." Elsie said flatly, glaring at her mother, "Then, this wouldn't be such an issue." Carolyn turned on her heel, leaving the room, continuing her shouting session all the way down the hall and out the door. She was probably going off to speak to those friends of hers again.

And now Elsie was under house arrest.

Sighing, she made her way back into her room, throwing herself face first onto her bed. She didn't understand. She'd just had Lenore. Just told Lenore how she felt. Showed her, even. And now she'd lost her again, and was alone, unable to leave her own home.

That seemed as if it would be a bit of a stretch, but her mother had set people outside in shifts to make sure Elsie wouldn't be able to go anywhere. It was horrendous. She was enraged, to say the least, not yet fully able to believe that Carolyn had actually had the audacity to go to such lengths.

And only moments later, she was back to thinking about Lenore. That night had been so perfect, and, minus the several disturbances caused by Simon, Elsie couldn't imagine how anything would ever be able to top it.

And then, not soon after, she came to the conclusion that nothing would be able to.

——————————

"I just want to go out." Elsie shouted into one of the decorative pillows her sister had made for her bed, already losing her mind. "Well," Melanie replied, laughing at her sister's antics, "Maybe if you could convince mother that you'll stay away from that bookstore, she'd let you out."

"I doubt she ever will," Elsie flipped onto her back, staring up at the ceiling, "I am just dying to see Lenore." Melanie laughed again, shaking her head, "It's only been two days, I'm sure you'll be alright."

Elsie rolled herself off of the bed and onto the floor, making everything out to be as dramatic as she felt. "I believe I should like to die rather than go so long without seeing her."

"My God, you're exaggerating." Her sister peered over at her from the chair in the opposite corner of the room. "I really think you'll survive this, it'll just take a while for her to come around."

"Goodness, Mel, have you met our mother?" Elsie stood, carefully replacing the heaps of bedding she'd pulled down with her during her descent. Melanie only sighed as a response, immediately returning to her sewing. Clearly, she wasn't willing to risk getting herself in trouble just to get her younger sister out of the house to some silly little bookstore.

——————————

William had been pacing in his office, ignoring the hundreds of questions that Elsie had been spewing at him for what must've been an hour. "I just don't understand," Elsie said, "If you find a way to get me out, you could go and visit Simon with me! Wouldn't that be nice?"

William seemed to freeze and become incredibly uneasy whenever she mentioned the Whittock boy, which Elsie had decided not to inquire further about.

"I just think it's in your best interest to wait this out. Eventually she'll let you out again, before you genuinely begin to go insane." He laughed, attempting to lighten both of their moods. This really did seem to be difficult for Elsie to be going through, and yet he seemed to be too busy to care at this particular moment.

——————————

"Ridiculous.." Elsie muttered to herself as she returned to her desk. She rested her chin in her hands as she continued in attempting to come up with a plan. Maybe she could just make a run for it in the middle of the night, although that would probably end her up in even more trouble.

Elsie sighed, glancing up for a moment to stare out one of her bedroom windows, which looked right over Clarke Street.

And then, in the distance, she saw her mother begin her walk up the road.