📖 A New Friend

(A/N: I know I have so many stories to write as it is, but I couldn't resist! With the new lore we have been given, I decided to take this as a chance to add on to Boxley's history. I'll have to rewrite a few things I've already done for him, but it will be worth it.)

────── 〔💜〕──────

"Young master, please wake up." Boxley gently shook the owlet's shoulder, chuckling as the prince only cuddled closer to his stuffed bear "Happy birthday..." he sang softly.

"...To you..." Boxley laughed at his drowsy response, gently shaking his arm once more.

"No young master, to you. Today is your birthday."

"My birthday...It's my birthday!" Stolas hooted excitedly as he sat up in his bed. He let out a quiet gasp as he saw the butler holding a tray with a vibrant cupcake, topped with a single candle "Oh, Mr. Clawford, is that for me?"

"Of course it is. On behalf of the servants here at the Goetia estate, we wanted to personally wish you a happy birthday your highness. It may not be appropriate for a prince to eat in his bed, but your father doesn't have to know. I am good at erasing the evidence." he whispered with a wink, making Stolas laugh.

"Thank you, before I make my wish however, I have a request."

"Of course young master, and that is?"

"Well it is my birthday, how can I enjoy my cupcake without the song?"

"A song?" Boxley questioned, making him giggle.

"But of course, it is customary. As your prince, I humbly request that you sing me Happy Birthday."

"Oh...I'm...I'm not much of a singer. Perhaps there is something else I can...Hm?" He paused as he noticed the pleading look on the prince's face.

"I've never heard you sing before, pleeeeease? Just this once Mr. Clawford?"

"Honestly young master, a prince shouldn't..." Before he could protest any further, he could hear him starting to whimper softly. With a sigh of defeat, he cleared his throat. Stolas held his closest plushie in anticipation.

"Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday Prince Stolas,
Happy birthday to you."

Stolas was in awe of the performance, clapping as Boxley took a bow.

"I don't know why you were so timid, you have such a lovely voice!"

"Well, thank you young master. As I said, I'm not much of a singer."

"Oh pish posh, you were great! I would love to hear you sing for me again...Oh, I did say just this once, didn't I?" Stolas asked, recalling his words as he nervously tapped his fingers together. Boxley chuckled, gently lifting his face.

"For you, I shall sing whenever you wish. Speaking of wishes, you still have to blow out your candle." As he presented the tray to him, Stolas briefly closed his eyes before blowing out the flame "Well done. So, what did you wish for?"

"Well...I suppose I can tell you, since you're our head butler. But you must swear to keep it a secret." Stolas playfully demanded, making Boxley laugh.

"You have my word young master, I won't tell another soul." he said with a bow. As he leaned forward, the prince whispered his wish "Oh, a friend you say? What about you and the arch duke's son? You both seem quite--"

"Ugh, absolutely not! He is such a show off, and he drives me crazy!" he ranted before taking a bite of his cupcake "I'm only 'friends' with him for father's sake. Whenever I tried talking about the things I like, he always cuts me off! A real friend wouldn't be so rude. Don't you agree Mr. Clawford?"